Rock Exotica vs Simmons

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Rock Exotica vs Simmons

Postby Cody JW » Feb 4, 2011 12:48 pm

I am thinking of buying a PMI Rock Exotica chest roller for ropewalking. I have always used a ball bearing simmons mounted to a alum. chest plate. I know most people use the Rock Exotica now.Is the Rock Exotica a more efficient roller? Or should I keep the simmons until it needs replaced then get the Rock Exotica. I am not one to spend money to replace something unless I know what I am buying IS better than what I am replacing.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Re: Rock Exotica vs Simmons

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 4, 2011 1:44 pm

The RE is much better at getting on and off rope. You don't have to unload the roller like you do with the Simmons. This can turn into a safety issue. I have seen many people require assistance to release a Simmons pin.

Performance while climbing is virtually identical, imo.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Feb 4, 2011 1:49 pm

What Scott said.

I have never used a simmons, only RE, but have seen them in action and played with the few at Tech. I was surprised by the amount of effort to get the Simmons roller on and off rope. The RE is a breeze since the roller is stationary and you just remove one side with a little metal clasp then rotate it out. Super simple takes less than a second to be on and off rope.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Carl Amundson » Feb 4, 2011 2:12 pm

I've used both and IMHO there is no comparison.
The RE is easy to use and keeps you very close to the rope (and you don't have to worry about if flying apart at the worst possible times). :big grin:
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Cody JW » Feb 4, 2011 2:35 pm

Junkman, I could be wrong but I thought the ability of a roller to keep you close to the rope had more to do with a plate and how the roller was attached to the plate. If the RE keeps you closer I was wondering how it does? I have never had much of an issue with getting on and off with the simmons. I was just wondering about the bearings and if one was more efficient than the other. Scott seems to think they are similar. A few of the guys I cave with have them , but they are the type that will assume if it is new it is better. I know that theory works with electronics ( most of the time) but not sure about this. I am more of a tightwad than my buddies. Being of large upper body I noticed a BIG change when I switched from bushing to ball bearing.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 4, 2011 3:39 pm

Also I figured the abiltiy of a roller to keep you close to the rope was more to do with the harness or maybe the manner in how the plate/roller is attached to the harness. Or did you buy a RE that was already attached to a harness and this como held you closer?
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Carl Amundson » Feb 4, 2011 4:16 pm

Cody, I never said it kept me closer then the Simmmons roller, but I personally find that it does.
One of the main things I really like about the RE is how the roller attaches to the rope.
I never liked how the Simmons attaches and removes from the rope (note this is my opinion).
I have also had a roller come apart while removing the Simmons roller from the rope. Not a good feeling.
The way the RE is constructed, this will never happen.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby NZcaver » Feb 4, 2011 5:30 pm

I have both, but ironically have yet to become truly comfortable using any system other than a Frog.

Like everybody else, I find the PMI/Rock Exotica to be better ergonomically than the Simmons for attaching/detaching. But it's also more expensive.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 4, 2011 7:03 pm

I love my rock exotica double roller. Ive watched enough friends, exhausted on rope, fiddle with their simmons roller, trying to get tension off the rope so they could pull the pully out, only to need help from someone else. Ill stick to flipping the gate, leaning to the side, and popping the rope right off track.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chh » Feb 5, 2011 10:52 am

I've only ever used a simmons, but I distinctly remember picking up a RE once at a vendor's tent and saying "Sweeeeeeeeet."

I don't ropewalk much so I wouldn't blow the money right now on a new roller, but if I didn't have a roller and was going to buy one, I certainly would spend the extra money on the RE. They look very well made.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Cody JW » Feb 5, 2011 11:16 am

I do not rope walk much, most pits here in Indiana a shallow enough even for a fat boy like me to frog. Not the fastest thing in the world but I will get up safe. I was just wondering if I could gain some kind of mechanical advantage ( bearings) with the RE. I will probably keep the simmons for now until its actually needs replaced , then get the RE. I do not rope walk much.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Feb 7, 2011 8:10 am

The Simmons ball bearing has less resistance than the PMI, thus it is more efficient. According to someone who has used both for miles of rope climbing. :big grin: (Berta, not me.)
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Cody JW » Feb 7, 2011 4:26 pm

Tim White wrote:The Simmons ball bearing has less resistance than the PMI, thus it is more efficient. According to someone who has used both for miles of rope climbing. :big grin: (Berta, not me.)
Tim, what do you use? I know you have done some big stuff. Does Berta prefer to use the simmons ? Most replys I have got refer to the ease of getting on and off with the RE. I never noticed a problem ( getting in and out of it) with the simmons and I would think a thick chested guy like me would have more problem with that sort of thing. BUT I have never tried the RE, so maybe I do not know what I am missing.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 7, 2011 6:24 pm

Tim White wrote:The Simmons ball bearing has less resistance than the PMI, thus it is more efficient. According to someone who has used both for miles of rope climbing. :big grin: (Berta, not me.)

I've noticed that the RE pulleys do not spin freely. Are they packed with grease, or is there another explanation? Does the fact that they don't spin freely necessarily mean that they aren't as efficient? I have the bushing version of the Simmons and even it seems to spin more freely than the RE, but most people naturally assume any pulley with bearings is going to be more efficient than a pulley on a bushing. I would guess the difference is more apparent once you apply weight.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Feb 7, 2011 6:30 pm

You can notice a HUGE difference when you spin the roller on the Simmons ball bearing vs the Simmons bushing . Thick guys like me cannot use the bushing , you will notice the little cable that connects the roller to the housing get kinked . That is when you know you are too big for the bushing. On Rope explains this. I just assumed since the RE was newer that maybe it had more advanced bearings, I guess not.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!