Descender ring as rack link?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Descender ring as rack link?

Postby Beerlover » Feb 2, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi - I recently acquired a nice rack with a 90 degree eye. I was wondering if it would be safe to use one of those seamless descender rings that people use in rigging as an additional link with a locking biner to get the rack back to a flat orientation. I was thinking I would attach the rigging ring to my seat harness maillon, then use the locking biner through the rigging ring and the rack eye. Any thoughts?
Beerlover
Infrequent Poster

Name: John Boswell
NSS #: 62808
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Franklin County Grotto

Re: Descender ring as rack link?

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 2, 2011 4:32 pm

Sure it will work. However, this would be adding another link to your chain of things to pay attention to/go wrong. Keep it simple usually works best.

A twisted-eye rack is designed to allow a perpendicular orientation with a caving harness that uses a central attachment point, like a D ring screw link. Perpendicular is the optimal way use a rack.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Feb 2, 2011 5:29 pm

Uhhh Scott, I realize I'm stupid, but wouldn't the twisted eye directly on the D-ring cause the rack to be in the flat position?

If you put a regular rack on the D-ring, it will be perpendicular. Twisted rack will be flat. You would need to add one link (biner, maillon, etc.) to make the twisted rack perpendicular, negating the purpose of the twisted eye.

In any event Beerlover, adding two more links gets you right back where you started. If you want the orientation changed, just add one.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 2, 2011 5:48 pm

I use a 90* frame, and i attach it to my D ring with a 3.5mm rapide to keep the orientation of the rack so i am looking at it long ways, and not flat ways.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 2, 2011 6:05 pm

Are you sure you're using a 3.5mm QL and not something like 6 or 7mm? I think that size is better suited for attaching bungie pulleys or as a key chain.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 2, 2011 6:32 pm

You're right, I'm a tard. Its a 7mm. I can unscrew the gate and remove it from the petzl Omni without undoing the omni from the harness. works great and its impossible to shatter the gate or do a quick release and plummet to my death.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 2, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:Uhhh Scott, I realize I'm stupid, but wouldn't the twisted eye directly on the D-ring cause the rack to be in the flat position?

I was assuming that there would be a connector of some sort between the rack and the D. So, you're correct and less stupid than you thought.

In any case, they make two flavors of rack frames so any configuration can end up perpendicular to your body.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Return to On Rope!