Webbing Storage - not in Daisy Chains?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Webbing Storage - not in Daisy Chains?

Postby JSDunham » Jan 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I just heard from a friend that you should not store webbing in daisy chains because it puts too many bends in the webbing--this does not seem right to me for a whole host of reasons, not the least of which that I have never heard it before from anyone. But, I was wondering if anyone else had heard this or could say where it might have come from? I conjectured that perhaps very stiff non-stretch webbing for firefighting/etc. might suffer from having a bend during storage, but I can't think how that would damage the 1" tubular webbing most of us use for climbing and caving. Thoughts, anyone?
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Re: Webbing Storage - not in Daisy Chains?

Postby PeterFJohnson » Jan 20, 2011 8:34 pm

I can't say for sure one way or the other but I would like to see concrete evidence of that before I believe it. Climbers and Cavers have been doing that for a long time now. Of course it is possible people are retiring webbing that has worn out more quickly before a problem occurs, but again...evidence?

On another note, daisy chaining isn't really my preferred way of storing webbing anyway. Roll it around itself - essentially using it as its own spool - and it is far more compact and fits in a pack much better. A paper clip or two will keep it from unrolling in the bottom or your pack. Does take a bit more time though.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby Carl Amundson » Jan 20, 2011 9:06 pm

I have been storing webbing in daisy chains for years with no issues.
Whether you store is in spools or daisy chains is all about personal preference.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby NZcaver » Jan 20, 2011 11:37 pm

junkman wrote:I have been storing webbing in daisy chains for years with no issues.
Whether you store is in spools or daisy chains is all about personal preference.

Agreed. I call BS on the "puts too many bends in the webbing" myth.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 21, 2011 11:01 am

How would it put too much bend into the webbing? I've never seen them pull uber tight or anything. I guess if you are doing that, maybe? Then again, I've only seen/done it myself once. Ha it was funny, when MacNair showed me how so I could help more with packing up all our vertical stuff and get off the cliff (brr it was night and cold!) I was all "oh! this is just sc crocheting! why didn't you say so?" and got mine done super fast haha. I thought we were making a flower with it!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JSDunham » Jan 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Well, that was all pretty much what I thought--most cavers and climbers I know, myself included, store their webbing in daisy chains, so I figured if there was a real issue, people would know about it. I shall continue to store it in daisy chains without concern.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Postby jharman2 » Jan 24, 2011 11:28 am

PeterFJohnson wrote:On another note, daisy chaining isn't really my preferred way of storing webbing anyway. Roll it around itself - essentially using it as its own spool - and it is far more compact and fits in a pack much better. A paper clip or two will keep it from unrolling in the bottom or your pack. Does take a bit more time though.

I learned this trick from Peter and have been using it ever since. A roll of webbing takes up almost no room at the bottom of a darren drum. Also, you can throw the roll of webbing like a frisbee to capture a projection. It flies REALLY well and is very controllable.

I don't believe the "too many bends" for one second. Nylon isn't brittle and to my knowledge doesn't loose strength from bending.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby PeterFJohnson » Jan 24, 2011 1:35 pm

If we are giving credit where credit is due, I learned that one from Rick Royer after he scoffed at the muddy messy daisy chained I pulled from my pack once.

Haven't tried the frisbee trick. Will have to keep that in mind.
PeterFJohnson
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto + GVKS

Postby cavedoc » Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Life-on-a-line talks about strenth loss in rope when knots are left in place long term. Maybe that's where somone could come up with that idea. I can't see how the loose loops of a typical daisy chain could do any damage at all.
Roger Mortimer
cavedoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Roger Mortimer
NSS #: 26529
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Joaquin Valley Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jan 24, 2011 4:22 pm

PeterFJohnson wrote:If we are giving credit where credit is due, I learned that one from Rick Royer after he scoffed at the muddy messy daisy chained I pulled from my pack once.

I'll have to make a point of scoffing at Rick about something the next time I'm caving with him. :tonguecheek:

I've always daisy chained my webbing for carrying in my pack, although I occasionally roll it for storage. There is also a braiding/plaiting technique similar to daisy chaining but flatter and more compact. I don't use it myself, but I know some of the other rescue gurus do.

I also used to chain my caving rope, but now I prefer to use the stuff sack technique. I still occasionally chain ropes, but only when tossing them in the washing machine.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby gdstorrick » Jan 26, 2011 7:52 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby NZcaver » Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

You missed your calling as a comedian, Gary. :clap:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 27, 2011 10:04 pm

gdstorrick wrote:Hundeds of cavers and climbers die every year because they daisy-chained their webbing. The danger is that most people are right-handed and the webbing has a right-hand weave. When they coil it, two rights always make a wrong. This is a recipe for disaster :yikes: ! Right-handed webbing must be daisy-chained left-handed so that the risks cancel!

Come on folks, let's get real. :doh:

Legal disclaimer: Don't believe a word I say.

Gary
:bat2:

Huh, and I thought it was 3 lefts made a right and 2 Wrights made an airplane.

I guess you learn something new every day.

Though, please if you do daisy chain your webbing (left or right) do NOT put a knot a the end. Thanks.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby JSDunham » Jan 31, 2011 7:43 pm

If you left your webbing, it don't matter whether its daisy-chained or not...
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Return to On Rope!