bored and inventive

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

bored and inventive

Postby Scott » Jan 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Ok, I have just gotten back into dry caving the past 6 months or so. I just got new vertical gear for christmas (my present to myself), but i havnt been able to get in a cave to get it dirty.

So... I am in the middle of packing my house and finishing all the little projects I started but never finished over the past several years so I can sell it and have been going up and down into the attic a lot the past few days.

So... I rigged up a line to a ceiling rafter and started using my ascenders and descender to go up and down. It was rubbing up against the lip of the opening, so I put a redirection in. Since the access to the attic is only a few feet from the stairs going to the first floor, I am thinking of putting a rebelay with a redirect so I can go to all 3 floors on rope, but that would require more drywall repair.

I know this isnt normal for a 'normal' person, but no one ever said I was normal.

Hopefully I can get into some caves in February!

Scott
Scott
Infrequent Poster

Name: Scott
NSS #: 61890

Re: bored and inventive

Postby paul » Jan 20, 2011 7:26 am

I remember reading an account by a French caver (Norbert Castaret or Pierre Chavalier?) describing a visit to see fellow caver Robert de Joly at home. Robert de Joly is credited with having invented the lightweight "Electron" cable caving ladder. Apparently he had a ladder set up in his house and was using it to climb up to the next floor - probably for exercise!
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 20, 2011 9:08 am

i know several people with vertical treadmills in their house. I have one in the garage.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 20, 2011 9:45 am

Yeah, I know one person with a treadmill/short drop/climbing wall setup in his garage. It's cool. Although I find the treadmill a lot harder to climb on than normal hanging rope.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 20, 2011 9:52 am

Treadmills are hard with technique is poor. When you practice a lot your technique gets better and eventually you can climb without someone holding the rope below you. The first time I started climbing it was hard becuase i was kicking my feet out all over the place and the rope wouldnt feed. I soon figured out that the key was to keep your feet in line, bringing the ascenders straight up each time, which causes no binding, which also makes your climbing more efficient.

Now if you are frogging then you will have issues anyway, but getting a pantin for your foot will greatly improve your ability to treadmill climbing with a frog.
Food for thought.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jan 20, 2011 10:16 am

:waving: Linda and I have several ropes hanging in our den. They're rigged from the main ridge pole of the house. We do 22 ft. climbs/rappels right in the comfort of our home. :grin:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 20, 2011 11:00 am

Huh good to know. Yeah I figured out the trick is not just stand up, but also push my feet backwards under me, because in "sitting" your feet aren't actually under you. That is helpful. I figured what made it harder is that as you climb up you fall because you're staying in the same place, so the forces on a treadmill would be different, yeah? If I ever have spare money I want to get pantin, I borrowed one once, it does make it a lot easier.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott » Jan 20, 2011 3:31 pm

i thought my 14 ft to the attic was cutting it. i may have to look into this treadmill ya'll are talking about.
But hopefully there will be a place to practice near my new house.

Scott
Scott
Infrequent Poster

Name: Scott
NSS #: 61890

Postby gdstorrick » Jan 22, 2011 8:54 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 22, 2011 9:37 am

gdstorrick wrote:Some people may need to change their body type to succeed.

Gary, you should make some bumper stickers, or something. :woohoo:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 23, 2011 2:47 am

gdstorrick wrote:Some people may need to change their body type to succeed.

I'm serious.

Gary
:bat2:

Or as my friends tell me, "Go on a diet fatty!"

Just because they are all 5'8" and 140 lbs, they give me crap for being half a foot taller than them............lol

the above did make me laugh.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jan 23, 2011 10:12 am

Not really "on rope" but to share a story of traveling through a house in a "non-traditional way".

My son, when he was 7, started in our first floor playroom, crossed the room, went into the downstairs hallway, up the back stairs, into his room, through his room, into the front upstairs hallway, into his sisters room, onto her bed and then reversed directions. Without touching the floor once.

So, he's about as "normal" as the original poster. :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Return to On Rope!