Torn on which descender to use.

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Torn on which descender to use.

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 20, 2011 9:44 am

I can see how extreme rebelay's where you literally have to climb at an angle would most likely suck on a ropewalker, however I disagree with the opinion that climbing on a wall with a ropewalker is slow. I find it much easier to fly up a wall rope walking, than I do trying to frog, especially on walls where you simply have to kick 1 leg out of the loop to keep climbing with a frog so you dont flop sideways, shoulder into the wall on every step. climbing with 1 leg is a little more difficult than 2 ;) I realize that a pantin would probably help with this, but with the narrow pits around here, I find it much easier to rope walk.

That being said, I hate patella tendonitis and frogging simply isnt an option. The efficient way to climb with a frog puts a lot of stress on the patella tendon and is extremely painful in my case, so I ropewalk pretty much out of almost..........everything. :)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby gdstorrick » Aug 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 8, 2012 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 20, 2011 9:27 pm

would that be the setup that marion uses? saw him climb with that a few weeks ago. Definately not my style, lol.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!