Proper terminology for frog system w/ pantin?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Proper terminology for frog system w/ pantin?

Postby beertripp » Nov 4, 2010 11:08 pm

I have been tweaking my vertical technique recently and have added a foot ascender to my frog system. I know many use a Pantin, but i rigged mine with a CMI Ultrascender. It works wonderfully well for me, but what do I call this? Frog Walker? Tree Frogging (I believe arborists use this system frequently)?

Anyone else use this system?
beertripp
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 47976

Re: Proper terminology for frog system w/ pantin?

Postby paul » Nov 5, 2010 7:30 am

Yes, I've been using a Frog setup with a Pantin for several years now and most of those I go caving with do as well. Best thing since sliced bread! I'm UK based and the Frog setup is universal in use here.

I would still refer to it as a Frog setup as you can either prusik in the usual way as if you had both feet in your footloop when using a Pantin (i.e. go through sit/stand cycles while raising bot legs together with one foot in the footloop and one with the Pantin) or, optionally, do a sort of quasi ropewalking manouvre without changing any of the set up other than loosening your chest harness a bit and standing alternately on footloop or Pantin.

At least that's my opinion!
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby beertripp » Nov 5, 2010 3:14 pm

Yeah, that works for me.

I tend to "walk" now, instead of both feet in unison. I seem to get a much better bite with the ascenders that way. Not to mention I stay much more upright.
beertripp
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 47976

Postby NZcaver » Nov 5, 2010 9:04 pm

I've heard this system referred to as the "frog walker" or sometimes the "frog hopper."

In his book and online text Vertical, Warild refers to this as a convertible system - the "frog - floating cam."
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to On Rope!