Superavanti with Protective Seat

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Superavanti with Protective Seat

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Dec 8, 2010 9:31 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:My impression is that the protective seat is for abrasion resistance, not really for sitting in. I haven't used one personally so maybe someone else will chime in and correct me here. They seem kind of loose, like most (all?) of your weight would still be on the leg loops even with the seat attached.

Not being much of a canyonner I asked one day the answer I got was it's for canyonners wanting to slide down rockslides on their bum without tearing up the wetsuit that they're wearing underneath the harness.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Cody JW » Dec 9, 2010 10:08 pm

I always used a second harness for big pits and long climbs , it is not a caving specific harness but made by Petzl , it is called a Navaho. It was made for industrial use and is bulky and comfortable. It is like going down the rope in an easy chair. It is bulky and has a high attachment point-too high for frog but I ropewalk big stuff anyway. Most other stuff I use a fractio. The rubber stuff on the leg loops on the fractio is for abrasion resistance but sometimes catches on each other when walking.Not sure about the protective seat on the superavanti .
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby controleman » Dec 9, 2010 11:17 pm

You could always add a large webbing to your harness to equalize a little more the weight. I made mine removable just in case it gets annoying (Never been until now), but at least it's a little more comfortable for longer period of time. I don't have any shot to explain my thoughts, but you can have a look on the MTDE model..

controleman
Infrequent Poster

Postby Kuzgun » Dec 10, 2010 11:01 am

I bought a MTDE Picos few days ago and solve the problem. :grin:
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Previous

Return to On Rope!