Vertical Gear as Carry On

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Vertical Gear as Carry On

Postby halpaver » Sep 11, 2010 11:33 am

Has anyone brought vertical gear as a carry on? The TSA website doesn't prohibit it but I wanted to see if anyone has any experiences doing it.
Thanks,
Hal
halpaver
New Poster

NSS #: 62073
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NNJG

Re: Vertical Gear as Carry On

Postby NZcaver » Sep 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. I frequently carry vertical gear in my carry-on luggage.

When traveling to caving events, rescue training etc I usually have a mid-size backpack (just fits in the overhead) stuffed with my smaller, heavier stuff. Camera gear, vertical gear, radios, and other gadgets. Each type of gear is packaged in a different bag in my pack.

Occasionally TSA wants to do further screening by putting it through the X-ray again or sometimes by asking to open it up. Everything inside is tightly packed and can be confusing for the X-ray operator. This second screening only happens about one time in four, on average. If they want to check it, I say "sure, it contains climbing gear, camera equipment and communications equipment. No sharp edges." One time they wiped inside the pack with the explosive detection swab and put my climbing gear bag and camera case through the X-ray individually. That was as detailed as it got, even on international flights.

My vertical gear consists of a Frog system and a micro rack (or occasionally a Stop descender). If you look like an innocent caver, you shouldn't have any issues *knock on wood* :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Evan G » Sep 11, 2010 7:13 pm

NZcaver wrote: innocent caver

:rofl:
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby snoboy » Sep 12, 2010 12:33 am

NZcaver wrote:One time they wiped inside the pack with the explosive detection swab

No microblasting for you! :yikes: :doh:
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby gdstorrick » Sep 12, 2010 6:19 am

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Amazingracer » Sep 13, 2010 8:05 am

I have several friends who have flown with vertical gear as carryon with no issues. They had the standard frog setup plus a micro rack.

I myself have also flown with my vertical gear as a carryon. Departing Atlanta I just had my vertical gear and helmet (no descender) and in Atlanta they just stopped me after the Xray and asked if I had climbing gear. I said yes and they let me through. On the way home flying home from Denver I had all my vertical gear, but also an 18" rappel rack. I was hesitant that the rack might draw some attention and i would have to check the bag, however I went through security with no issues or questions.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby driggs » Sep 13, 2010 11:55 am

I've flown three times with caving gear as carry-on luggage. I've never been hassled about the vertical gear, though was once asked what it was, to which I replied "climbing equipment" and received a satisfactory nod from the screener - this answer seemed like it would require less explanation than "vertical caving gear" to someone who obviously didn't recognize any of it. I usually take my helmet and rack out of the bag so they can see them clearly, especially the big steel rack.

It has always made me paranoid having the StenLight Li-Ion battery strapped to the back of my helmet, as it looks "suspicious" to me, but they've never questioned it. In fact, once a screener from another aisle saw my helmet with a light mounted, rushed over, and warmly introduced himself to me as a caver! Note that for "loose" Li-Ion batteries like this (not in "a device"), carry-on is your only option with the TSA.
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

driggs wrote:I've flown three times with caving gear as carry-on luggage. I've never been hassled about the vertical gear, though was once asked what it was, to which I replied "climbing equipment" and received a satisfactory nod from the screener - this answer seemed like it would require less explanation than "vertical caving gear" to someone who obviously didn't recognize any of it. I usually take my helmet and rack out of the bag so they can see them clearly, especially the big steel rack.

It has always made me paranoid having the StenLight Li-Ion battery strapped to the back of my helmet, as it looks "suspicious" to me, but they've never questioned it. In fact, once a screener from another aisle saw my helmet with a light mounted, rushed over, and warmly introduced himself to me as a caver! Note that for "loose" Li-Ion batteries like this (not in "a device"), carry-on is your only option with the TSA.

While it's sometimes hit or miss, the reality is a fair number of TSA agents actually have brains and training. While not as trained as some other security agents (though there is a division that is trained in this) they have some basic training in profiling. If you give them an answer that sounds believable and don't look nervous, etc. I've managed to get even hockey skates on as carry-on baggage.

BTW, at times the TSA Blog can be an interesting read.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Mark620 » Sep 23, 2010 6:56 pm

but isn't the 35,000 of rope too large for a carry-on :rofl:
"People who really believe that global warming leads us to a doomsday should be treated as mentally ill." Quote : Luboš Motl
Mark620
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55638
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Owners Club _ I own Caves

Postby Stridergdm » Sep 23, 2010 10:36 pm

Mark620 wrote:but isn't the 35,000 of rope too large for a carry-on :rofl:

Well sure, if you use 11mm.

That's why you've got to start using 11nm. Less bulky!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby oneintheweb » Jan 14, 2011 5:13 pm

This is interesting....I am going to Costa Rica to cave and was going to carry my verti gear, some rope, helmet, lights, etc in a medium sized backpack to carry on after reading all of this; but when I talked to my CR grotto contact, he said Don't Do It! He said they've taken away gear from him before when he's gone from Miami to CR; so told me to check it all in. Maybe internationally they are more leery of cave gear?
oneintheweb
New Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 14, 2011 7:03 pm

When I went to the UK (flew in through Gatwick) it was in my checked luggage. I had no problems that way. I've carried gear carry-on within the states and never had issues.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!