SRTE Stop

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: SRTE Stop

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 9, 2011 9:13 pm

Sungura wrote:I'm still very currious about a stop and next time I'm in the UK I'm gonna get the Dales folk to train me on it and try it out, I think.
I still have a "holy shit LET GO" reflex which I have to consciously think hard to not do - if something were to go wrong even a bit I am not sure that I would have the wherewithal to keep that grip with my brake hand. It will be a long time before I feel ok rappelling without being on belay since it is such a standard reaction of mine.

What you're describing is the opposite of the way the Petzl Stop works. When you release the handle the cam engages and you stop. You squeeze the handle to go. This has been the main concern about the function of the device since most people will grip the handle more tightly if they encounter a problem rather than releasing it. I don't know too many people that have a "holy shit LET GO" reflex. Seems like it could be a liability with most other rappel devices.

My understanding of the SRTE Stop is that letting go or squeezing hard both engage the brake, so either relex gets you out of trouble. But to get this function means a heavier, more expensive device that has to be adjusted for rope diameter.

I think the fact that both manufacturers use the same name has created some confusion.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 9, 2011 9:18 pm

derekbristol wrote:
Sungura wrote:I'm still very currious about a stop and next time I'm in the UK I'm gonna get the Dales folk to train me on it and try it out, I think.
I still have a "holy shit LET GO" reflex which I have to consciously think hard to not do - if something were to go wrong even a bit I am not sure that I would have the wherewithal to keep that grip with my brake hand. It will be a long time before I feel ok rappelling without being on belay since it is such a standard reaction of mine.

What you're describing is the opposite of the way the Petzl Stop works. When you release the handle the cam engages and you stop.

...exactly what I said - since my reponse to being on rope is to let go...erm..this means I don't just zipppitydoodah fall if I have a stop because when I let go, I stop (or, at least, slow, it's not like a "freefall"). which...is why I still like the concept of it
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 10, 2011 1:47 am

derekbristol wrote:My understanding of the SRTE Stop is that letting go or squeezing hard both engage the brake, so either relex gets you out of trouble. But to get this function means a heavier, more expensive device that has to be adjusted for rope diameter.

Not necessarily true. Depends if you have a single brake SRTE model, or a double brake model. My own one is single brake. For more details, check out the link I posted earlier in this topic - http://www.srte.com.au/pdf/Descenders.pdf

Sungura wrote:I still have a "holy shit LET GO" reflex which I have to consciously think hard to not do...

You mentioned this earlier in the topic. It's an interesting anomaly. Most people tend to death grip with their hands if they feel they are falling or about to fall.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Yeah. I'm chock-full of interesting anomalies. The more you get to know me the more you wonder how on earth my brain was wired. I must be thinking-dyslexic or something. Do the opposite of what I should!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 10, 2011 1:01 pm

So when you are standing anywhere and you start to slip and fall, you dont reach for anything to hold onto, you simply let yourself fall down face first?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Chads93GT wrote:So when you are standing anywhere and you start to slip and fall, you dont reach for anything to hold onto, you simply let yourself fall down face first?
...yeah prettymuch. Although I don't just fall face down, I try and pick a (butt)cheek and aim for that so I don't kill my coccyx and fall just fine. Or tuck and roll sort of method. I basically never use my hands/arms in falling.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Feb 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Chads93GT wrote:So when you are standing anywhere and you start to slip and fall, you dont reach for anything to hold onto, you simply let yourself fall down face first?

I knew someone like that, but she had dislocated her should a number of times, so she had trained herself to simply fall down and go boom than to risk grabbing something or putting her hand out to break the fall and risk dislocating her shoulder.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Stridergdm wrote:

I knew someone like that, but she had dislocated her should a number of times, so she had trained herself to simply fall down and go boom than to risk grabbing something or putting her hand out to break the fall and risk dislocating her shoulder.
For me it's 11+ years of karate that has trained me to not flail and grab for stuff. Great way to break wrists/arms/hands/dislocate things/etc. So erm...yeah. Which wasn't that hard though as it was my instinct anyway to not do that. 'Swhy rappelling is still hard for me - I hold with my brake hand SO HARD my hand quickly cramps up onto the rope, and I hold it with such a deathgrip so I don't forget to let go that basically the whole way down I'm holding my weight (partially, I guess, since the friction helps) whenever I practise locking off the rack even, and people are all "see you're good, you can let go wheeeeeeeeeeeee" I can't let go because if I do I'll forget to pick it up again.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 10, 2011 1:36 pm

You wont forget to pick up the rope again, because if you don't, you will be forever locked in place from the tie off. ;) :rofl: You will figure it out sooner or later that to move again you have to grab the rope and undo the tie off ;) hehe
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Chads93GT wrote:You wont forget to pick up the rope again, because if you don't, you will be forever locked in place from the tie off. ;) :rofl: You will figure it out sooner or later that to move again you have to grab the rope and undo the tie off ;) hehe
yeah but I will let go more readily once I pick it back up because I took my hand off of it. Or i'll do something stupid like try to unlock it without really holding it with my brake hand...or something. If that hand just doesn't move, that's for hte better lol.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to On Rope!