Simmons Roller Question

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Simmons Roller Question

Postby Cody JW » Aug 10, 2010 8:33 pm

I have used the same ball bearing simmons roller for some time now and have a question about how it is attached to the plate. Several years ago I had a local guy put it togeather for me and has worked fine for years.The simmons has slots in the housing to slide a bar through , then the bar is screwed to the plate.On mine the bar was made slightly narrower than the slots in the roller. This allows some play in the roller. I was told that this will allow the roller to move some as your torso moves when climbing putting less stress on the roller.It sounds like it makes sense , but sounding like making sense and making sense I know are two different things. I ask this because I have never seen anybody else with the same type of mount.I know that the rock exotica roller and plate is the new norm now but I do not ropewalk much as I prefer to frog (except for big stuff) and my rig has not seen tons of use and seems fine.I did have to switch from the bushing to ball bearing because of my thick chest.I know this is a loaded question but do any of you scientific types have any thoughts on this type of mount?
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Re: Simmons Roller Question

Postby Tim White » Aug 11, 2010 7:24 am

How much "play in the roller?
Is the plate a custom rig or off the shelf?
The BMS plate(s) that On Rope 1 (and other) sold/sells has a mm or so of play.
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 11, 2010 8:16 am

The slots can also be used for webbing, as shown in On Rope, illustration 6-36. Basically, it is a chest harness without a plate, just the roller. This would allow some play and turning of the roller. Like you said, in theory it shouldn't make a big difference. But, in practice it could be different.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cody JW » Aug 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Tim White wrote:How much "play in the roller?
Is the plate a custom rig or off the shelf?
The BMS plate(s) that On Rope 1 (and other) sold/sells has a mm or so of play.
You can turn it about a quarter of an inch to the right or left, the plate is a custom plate(I think).I have used it at The Bridge and Golandrinas and had no problems, just wondering if it could be more efficient by stabilizing it.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to On Rope!