Chewed Rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Chewed Rope

Postby Doug McCarty » Feb 19, 2006 9:08 am

After a ten hour surveying trip in December we came back to a handline climb out of a dome pit and found that a rodent had almost chewed our handline (an old pit rope) to the core just beyond the anchor point--almost as if he was trying to make us fall. In January, we switched types of ropes to a smaller diameter rope, but rather stupidly, because we had never had a chewed rope problem in that area before, we figured the chewed rope was a fluke. It wasn't. When we got back the rope was almost chewed in two--in two places. In February we used webbing instead of rope, and Mr. Rat didn't seem to like it. It's a good thing this wasn't a rappel, or we might have been in big trouble. Here is a link to a picture of January's rope.
http://caves.org/grotto/mongrotto/images/ChewedRope.jpg

DougMc
Doug McCarty
Occasional Poster

Postby speloman » Feb 19, 2006 9:38 am

:shock: Wow
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby cavercrew » Feb 19, 2006 7:55 pm

Not too long ago, we had a young black lab follow us on a typical hike in the land of TAG to do some wet vertical stuff, Alabama, to be somewhat
specific. Our attempts to discourage him following were ignored and we soon found him resting near one of the entrances. He had obviously done this gig before. During one of several acts of mild buffoonery we had rigged one of 2 holes to check and while our leader had dropped down into one, the lab took to chewing on the rope real close to the rig point!
Our diligent crew noticed this immediately and stopped the dog before any damage was done. The dogs actions after this act were under constant scrutiny. In hindsight I guess it was a good thing we all didn't disappear underground together and wind up with a bad rig or no rope to climb out with. Keep an eye on your rope.
Mike Hopkins
cavercrew
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike Hopkins
NSS #: 53727
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby cob » Feb 19, 2006 8:38 pm

cavercrew wrote:Not too long ago, we had a young black lab follow us on a typical hike in the land of TAG to do some wet vertical stuff, Alabama, to be somewhat
specific. Mike Hopkins

You sure you weren't in Tennessee? Sounds a whole lot like "Two Dog Pit" to me!
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Chewed Rope

Postby wendy » Feb 20, 2006 2:32 am

Doug McCarty wrote:After a ten hour surveying trip in December we came back to a handline climb out of a dome pit and found that a rodent had almost chewed our handline (an old pit rope) to the core just beyond the anchor point--almost as if he was trying to make us fall. In January, we switched types of ropes to a smaller diameter rope, but rather stupidly, because we had never had a chewed rope problem in that area before, we figured the chewed rope was a fluke. It wasn't. When we got back the rope was almost chewed in two--in two places. In February we used webbing instead of rope, and Mr. Rat didn't seem to like it. It's a good thing this wasn't a rappel, or we might have been in big trouble. Here is a link to a picture of January's rope.
http://caves.org/grotto/mongrotto/images/ChewedRope.jpg

DougMc

sounds like you need to pack some rat traps and peanut butter on your next trip. or if not into rat traps, bring something else for the rat to enjoy instead of your rope.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby hunter » Feb 20, 2006 10:43 am

Ouch, I think that rat was trying to kill you! I've had ropes chewed before but they normally just nibble along the sheath so it takes a couple of months for the rope to get near failing. That photo looks like he just wanted to cut the rope.

Hunter
hunter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ian mckenzie » Feb 20, 2006 10:44 am

As far as packrats go, they seem to prefer new ropes to older stiff ones, in my experience.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Caverdale » Feb 20, 2006 1:07 pm

ian mckenzie wrote:As far as packrats go, they seem to prefer new ropes to older stiff ones, in my experience.

There is also evidence that packrats like objects that have traces of salt on them, like armpits of shirts/jackets, and maybe ropes also.
Dale Green
NSS 3669FE
Caverdale
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dale Green
NSS #: 3669FE, LB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Salt Lake Grotto

Postby Grandpa Caver » Feb 20, 2006 6:40 pm

I've seen this topic before and the solution has always been to leave someone topside as a rope tenter in risky areas. There's no real sub for a buddy watching the rope, but where varmits (the furry kind) are concerned, I wonder if a natural or chemical repellent might do the job.

I've had good results using cayenne pepper or red hot sauce to keep rabbits & a host of other pests away from plants & seedlings. Lemon oil makes a fair cat deterent.

There are a couple chemicals thought to be effective but I do'nt think I'd want to use them in an uncontrolled enviroment. A little cayenne pepper sprinkled around the exposed rope however might just be offensive enough to deter the chewers without doing Ma Nature any harm.

I did find this revue on the subject...

http://www.wildlifemanagement.info/publ ... cles_1.htm

Just 2 cents worth of a thought...BL
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby ian mckenzie » Feb 20, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes, a buddy-tender is a good idea (that's what we did) - but chemicals, traps poison etc are less reliable, and environmentally repugnant to some.
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby Dan Sullivan » Feb 20, 2006 9:10 pm

We just tie a cat to the rig point around here. :kewl:
Dan Sullivan

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Feb 20, 2006 11:11 pm

While we haven't had any reports of rats chewing on the rope directly we've found incidents where rope left for an expedition was nicely chewed here and there.
I've experienced having webbing left outside of the gate of one cave being pulled in and chewed up so Briar Rat don't make no specific preference.
Most likely it is the salty oils left from our handling the rope(s) that attract them.
It is something to look out for to be sure. Around here however very few people would be willing to just be a rope watcher due to having to hike all that way and just sit outside while the rest of us have our fun? Uhh, nope.
But as I said it hasn't been reported that it's happened.

So far... :shock:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby David_Campen » Feb 21, 2006 12:43 am

I wonder if Bitrex works on rats? I would guess that it does. It is water soluble so it would have to be reapplied to the rope after wet use. I would guess that it wouldn't harm Nylon.
David_Campen
Prolific Poster

Postby Grandpa Caver » Feb 21, 2006 7:03 am

Since Bitrex is added to some rodenticides, my guess is it's not so unpalatable to the toothy critters. Still worth a closer look though.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 21, 2006 7:44 am

Dan Sullivan wrote:We just tie a cat to the rig point around here. :kewl:

Just make sure the cat does pee on the rope. Tests have shown that urine is about the worst thing you can put on a rope. :shock:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Next

Return to On Rope!