Speed climbing rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Speed climbing rope

Postby treeview » Aug 3, 2010 6:40 pm

I work as an arborist but climb mo]re like a caver. Many years ago I read the first edition of ON ROPE and it changed the way I climb trees. Six years ago I found the Unicender and now I only climb SRT. To me, what cavers have known for decades, arborists are finally discovering.

On my website, treebuzz.com, there is a perpetual discussion about the differences in speed and efficiency of rope walking, etc. and footlocking into the tree. I've read reports from the races that NSS has but I can't find the info now.

Where do I find the rules and results fro\m the speed climbing events?

Also, in the real world, what sort of ascent rates, to heights no more than 120' would be 'normal' for cavers, not in competition.

Thanks,

Tom
treeview
Infrequent Poster

Re: Speed climbing rope

Postby chh » Aug 3, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey Tom,
I'm an arborist as well as a caver, but I'm afraid all I can offer is "it depends". I've seen some really fast cavers on SRT, but then I've seen some good tree climbers who could probably footlock 100 feet of rope faster than some cavers could do it with ascenders. Just depends on what you practice I guess. I just taught a new hire the wonders of SRT access the other day. It's hard to believe that some folks still just body thrust for access, huh?
I don't know where you would find results for cometitions, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. The last time I timed a climb in a cave was about 4 or 5 years ago using a frogging system for a pit around 585 feet in depth. Going a a decent pace (for me) it took about 32 minutes with my normal gear on during a recreational cave trip. I consider myself an average caver so break that down and you get around 7 or so minutes for a 120 foot climb if that helps at all. This was also a free hanging drop, so no negotiating lips or fending off branches or any of the other factors that might otherwise slow you down. Heavier gear, rebelays, fatigue, dehydration, hypothermia, thorns, poison ivy.... you know, the usual :laughing:
Welcome to the forum.

-caleb
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 3, 2010 8:01 pm

The world record for climbing 30 meters is 24 seconds.

All the stats can be found on the NSS Vertical Section's page under Contests. LINK
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 3, 2010 9:27 pm

For us down here in the sticks, climbing usually comes after an 8-10 hour trip of crawling a mile, literally, surveying, and a general butt kicking trip. Fresh and climbing just to bounce pits I could do 120 at a leisure pace in 3-4 minutes I guess, a lot quicker if I really wanted to, but whats the point? I don know I can climb 1200 feet in less than 50 minutes though and the fastest I have climbed 400' to date on my rope treadmill in my garage is 9:55.

My point is speed is relative. if you are pit bouncing its once thing. If you are carrying 50 lbs of soaking wet gear after surveying all day, 3 miles in, its a completely different story. IN that aspect im not worried about getting out the fastest, im just worried about everyone making it out safely and not doing something stupid due to exhaustion.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby treeview » Aug 3, 2010 9:46 pm

I agree…speed isn’t always the measure of success.

At some time though there is a validity in racing., After looking at the chart I can see that there are systems that seem to be faster. Faster tends to be more efficient in global terms.

The world record footlock speed for 20m is about 14 seconds. It would seem that a caving type setup would eclipse that time easily

Tom
treeview
Infrequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 4, 2010 6:23 am

My frogging style is unfortunately inefficient. But it's even more disconcerting when on a trip with the wife of a certain moderator. I recall a specific trip where I believe she climbed 300+' of rope faster than I think I rappelled it. :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 4, 2010 1:24 pm

I've heard of her from a friend of mine. He gave me recommendations to my ropewalker based off of her own "tweaks." On thing I continuously wonder, "How in the hell does she climb so fast?" Is she just freakish strong and weighs 90 lbs or what? I can't imagine climbing that fast, but I try! lol
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tim White » Aug 5, 2010 6:47 am

Freakish strong and weighs 130 lbs (mostly muscle). :big grin:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Cody JW » Aug 5, 2010 8:11 am

Stridergdm wrote:My frogging style is unfortunately inefficient. But it's even more disconcerting when on a trip with the wife of a certain moderator. I recall a specific trip where I believe she climbed 300+' of rope faster than I think I rappelled it. :-)
Inefficient- Welcome to the party.I have a good excuse as I am a fat boy.Still love to frog.My group has always had a saying " Any climb you walk away from under your own power is a good climb".I put more of a premium on safety than speed.Short legs and a thick chest is not a recipe for a fast climb, so that leaves me out.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Return to On Rope!