Aquaseal on rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Aquaseal on rope

Postby ek » Jul 28, 2010 4:13 pm

Does Aquaseal damage rope?

I'm wondering about Aquaseal for (1) preemptively coating permanent (e.g. cowstail) knots to protect them from abrasion, and (2) use in the field, say at a campsite where it's available but new rope for a cowstail is not, to cover sheath-damaged areas on permanent knots.

It doesn't have to dry non-rigid for these applications, because we're talking about a permanent knot.

Of course, if it chemically damages rope, then it should not be used for this purpose.

EDIT: Slight rewording for clarity.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: Aquaseal on rope

Postby gdstorrick » Jul 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by gdstorrick on Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdstorrick
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Gary Storrick
NSS #: 12967
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pittsburgh

Postby Stridergdm » Jul 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Wow, for some reason m brain parsed that a "A queasal" and I was tying to figure out what a queasal was and why you'd put one up rope. I know some people get queasy on rope (which is not recommend, especially if you're below them.)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby chh » Jul 28, 2010 5:50 pm

I wonder if the composition of aquaseal is similar to whip end dip, another quick drying protective covering for ropes? I'll have to look.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 28, 2010 8:54 pm

I have AquaSeal (actually Seam Grip, same compound just runnier therefore soaks in better but not as durable) on the knots on my ascenders. There is one spot that seems to see a lot of abrasion, so I covered it with Seam Grip. I have used it for over a year now. It is holding up nicely. I haven't noticed much wear on my cows tail knots.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I have AquaSeal (actually Seam Grip, same compound just runnier therefore soaks in better but not as durable) on the knots on my ascenders. There is one spot that seems to see a lot of abrasion, so I covered it with Seam Grip. I have used it for over a year now. It is holding up nicely. I haven't noticed much wear on my cows tail knots.

So what you are saying is that you in fact, aren't dead, and that you haven't died from the use of McNett products on your nylon climbing products? ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jul 28, 2010 10:56 pm

AquaSeal on cowstail knots - now that's a novel idea.

It's useful for a whole bunch of other things, so why not? The biggest issue I have with it is using the whole tube. Usually the cap either seals itself on, or the neck of the tube seals up, or I end up puncturing the tube trying to fix one of the aforementioned problems. Even if I clean the threads and keep the tube in the freezer. Grrrr. Anybody else have these problems, or is it just me?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 28, 2010 11:07 pm

NZcaver wrote:Anybody else have these problems, or is it just me?

Yep, same here. I end up having to drill through the big Seamgrip plug at the mouth of the tube.

I tried to be helpful here, but Life on a Line v2 doesn't make any reference to toluene in their "common chemicals and their effects on rope" table (pg 93).
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 29, 2010 1:00 am

Its just you guys. i clean the threads and "unsqueeze the tube" to suck the stuff back inside the neck so it doesnt gunk up the neck.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 29, 2010 4:52 am

I use AquaSeal quite a bit for repairing packs. I clean the threads, put a dab of petroleum jelly on the threads and store it in the freezer. Occasionally, I have to pick a dried booger out, but this method usually works.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jul 29, 2010 10:32 am

According to the Dupont Zytel Design Guide Module II, nylon has excellent resisance to toluene - see attached.

Zytel is now DuPont's trade name for their brand of nylon. They gave away the name "nylon" after they invented it.
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby hank moon » Aug 22, 2010 7:47 pm

NZcaver wrote:AquaSeal on cowstail knots - now that's a novel idea.

It's useful for a whole bunch of other things, so why not? The biggest issue I have with it is using the whole tube. Usually the cap either seals itself on, or the neck of the tube seals up, or I end up puncturing the tube trying to fix one of the aforementioned problems. Even if I clean the threads and keep the tube in the freezer. Grrrr. Anybody else have these problems, or is it just me?

Yes, but...

The sample size tubes that McNett gives away at trade shows are the BEST!

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm

hank moon wrote:The sample size tubes that McNett gives away at trade shows are the BEST!

Such things would be very useful. Know of any trade shows I can gate crash? :whistle:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to On Rope!