Pro Tec helmets

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Pro Tec helmets

Postby Kuzgun » Jun 1, 2010 6:27 pm

There is anybody using bike helmet for caving? I saw these helmets. They looks like safety as much as climbing helmets ( not all.im talkin about this brand ) What are you thinking about using them in caves ?
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Re: Pro Tec helmets

Postby Marduke » Jun 1, 2010 8:17 pm

horizontal sure, but vertical (the section you posted in), no freaking way!!

doing horizontal caves you're just protecting your head from bumps. vertical is life protection, and i have seen it do exactly that in person.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 2, 2010 11:57 am

They should probably be OK for horizontal caving. Also note that dont have any helmet clips so youll probably have to bring out the ole duct tape to keep your helmet on. But as Marduke says dont use it for vertical caving a good Petzl, Kong or Edelrid (did I spell that right?) would suit better for that.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby ek » Jun 2, 2010 3:01 pm

First of all, assuming it fits (and lets you see), obviously it's better than no helmet. For any activity requiring a helmet.

I have yet to hear a compelling justification, or even an attempt to justify the widespread notion that it is reasonable for horizontal cavers to use different helmets than vertical cavers. Horizontal caving doesn't mean stuff can't fall on you from great heights. It doesn't mean you can't fall long distances. It doesn't even mean you're not climbing. It just means you're not using a rope and a harness.

If you'd use a helmet rated for rock climbing when you go vertical caving, you should use one for that purpose when you go horizontal caving too.

My helmet has saved me from nasty injury in both vertical and horizontal caving situations.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby LukeM » Jun 3, 2010 9:57 am

If you're looking for a cheaper, but still climbing rated helmet you might want to check out the 'Combi' helmet made by Liberty Mountain. Inner Mountain Outfitters sells it for $49 and I've seen some folks claim that it works just fine for caving. It even has headlamp clips.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Kuzgun » Jun 3, 2010 2:25 pm

Not asking for price, its shape is different but it seems ecrin roc is the king :)
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 3, 2010 4:49 pm

Ecrin Roc is definitely the most popular, but they don't fit every single caver's head just right. I found the Petzl Vertex vent to be more comfortable. Lots of people swear by the Edelrid brand, and I have seen the CAMP helmets becoming more popular lately.

I agree with ek that a climbing-rated helmet can be just as important in a "horizontal" cave as in a "vertical' one.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Return to On Rope!