Singing Rock chest harness

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Singing Rock chest harness

Postby Amazingracer » Jun 1, 2010 2:32 pm

Tim White wrote:
:sorry: :off topic:

Sorry Tim. Jansen asked and I obliged. Also seems to be more to that story than i originally was told. And I wasnt trying to throw GGG under the bus either.

Carry on.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jun 1, 2010 3:33 pm

jaa45993 wrote:Come on now guys, I'm calling BS here. The fact that I would rather buy a product than make it myself is not really cause for "surprise" or any "blame".

Yep. I'd be happy to make my own Petzl Serpentine too, if only I had a bar-tacker and one of those patented Petzl metal buckles that work a zillion times better than the nylon alternatives!

Tim White wrote:Even so, GGG has chosen to discontinue the use of this buckle.

I noticed this when a friend recently purchased a GGG footloop (for frogging); his old single footloop had the sharp-edge buckle and the new double footloop didn't. The new buckle is definitely a better design. "Idiot-proof," if you will.

:big grin:
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby NZcaver » Jun 1, 2010 5:01 pm

Jeff Bartlett wrote:Yep. I'd be happy to make my own Petzl Serpentine too, if only I had a bar-tacker and one of those patented Petzl metal buckles that work a zillion times better than the nylon alternatives!

From previous experience, I've found a pair of standard metal D-rings also work quite well for adjusting the length of 25mm webbing chest harnesses.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Kuzgun » Jun 1, 2010 6:09 pm

Im using webbing figure of eight made with edelrid tube perlon but AV Spelshoulder can be more comfortable. It looks great
"If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you."
Kuzgun
Frequent Poster

Name: Mesut Sen

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jul 13, 2010 12:47 am

Trooly74 wrote:Try this:http://www.aventureverticale.com/en/caving/accessory-avsp12.html

Spelshoulder AVSP12 15€

I use a chest harness very similar to the AV one above and I find it the best harness I've used, I've previously tried the Torse (dug into my shoulders too much when tight and flopped about when not) a homemade version of the Serpentine which took WAY too long to do up and undo even with the metal D rings. The one that really caught my attention was the Garma (below) after reading about it in Vertical and I thought about trying to copy it then thought it might compress my chest and restrict arm movement more than a figure 8 harness, I also didn't like the idea of having a carabiner connecting up the harness in front sitting on my sternum as I thought it'd probably hurt going through squeezes so I put the bicycle toe clip idea onto a figure 8 harness and it's the duck's nuts. (very good) :kewl: The figure 8 also doesn't need the carabiner to clip it together (I'm not sure how much the Garma needs it either?)

Oh I also had a version of the Sperpentine that I could adjust much faster and easier than the usual variety it was made using a halter square (sits at the side of the horse's muzzle on a halter) this meant you had 2 adjustment buckles to adjust more quickly and easily, but I like the figure 8 harness much more.

Trooly74 wrote:Image
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Previous

Return to On Rope!