Singing Rock chest harness

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Singing Rock chest harness

Postby JIBTEXHNKA » May 24, 2010 4:45 pm

Does anyone use this?

It's the cheapest chest harness I can find online, but I'm not sure how adjustable it is and the only ones I've ever used also connected to the seat harness. Would this work well with a frog system?
JIBTEXHNKA
Infrequent Poster

Name: James Jones
NSS #: 62270
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Re: Singing Rock chest harness

Postby NZcaver » May 26, 2010 11:51 am

My advice - spend an extra few bucks and get a GGG frog chest harness (retails for $20).

If you want to find out how that Singing Rock would feel, just tie a piece of webbing in a loop and wear it like an 8.

(This shows an adjustable buckle which is more convenient, but you can just use a knot.)

I suffered using a harness like this for years, but after trying the GGG style I'll never go back. If saving dollars is a priority, you can make your own. A frog chest harness is not considered Personal Protective Equipment so it's not uncommon to see cavers constructing their own. I experimented with a bunch of different designs over the years before sticking with my current choice.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Cody JW » May 26, 2010 3:19 pm

I prefer the Petzl Torse , very similar to what NZ shows in the previous post.The most important thing with both frog or ropewalker chest harness is the ability to adjust it when on rope .A chest harness feels tight when you put it on but will need the to be adjusted after you get on rope.The Torse can be tightened and loosened when on rope with one hand.The Torse is cheap and compact.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby JIBTEXHNKA » May 27, 2010 2:47 am

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll go with the GGG or similiar. I tried the Torse and didn't like it (although I could have just had it adjusted wrong).
JIBTEXHNKA
Infrequent Poster

Name: James Jones
NSS #: 62270
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cascade Grotto

Postby Trooly74 » May 27, 2010 4:34 am

Try this:http://www.aventureverticale.com/en/caving/accessory-avsp12.html

Spelshoulder AVSP12 15€

http://www.mtde.net/index.php?cPath=25, I prefer Garma but it is your choice.

Clasico 13,5€

Garma 45€

Piri 35€

Only problem is that those stuff are in Europe. To me and others here they are accessible easy. Most cavers in europe use those this days.
Webbing figure of eight is pretty much history this days

Greetings from Croatia.
Bad English, good ears!
OH! Its dark here. But I can SEE!
http://www.speleo-klub-samobor.hr/
Trooly74
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Speleoloski klub Samobor

Postby Amazingracer » May 27, 2010 8:14 am

The harnesses Trooly posted are defintiely some of the best out there but as they mentioned they are only in Europe.

Barring that there are other things such as:

PMI H Harness
http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/catalogentry.php?subcategoryid=13&page=1&brand=Petzl&catalogentryid=763&brand=PMI

I use on of those, its really comfortable and easy to adjust, but attach to your leg loops and not your waist strap, lest it try to pull your waist strap over your back

Also the Petzl Serpetine
http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/catalogentry.php?subcategoryid=13&page=all&catalogentryid=447&brand=Petzl

It's similar to what you already posted. I started using one of these when I became caving but found it too hard to adjust. I have several friends that swear by these though.

The Petzl Torse
I have seen this thing cause the waist strap on yoo many people ride up there back.

GGG Harness
I would use there stuff cautiously. It may be priced just right but the quality of their products leaves a little more to be desired.

Just my $0.02
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby NZcaver » May 27, 2010 11:44 am

Amazingracer wrote:GGG Harness
I would use there stuff cautiously. It may be priced just right but the quality of their products leaves a little more to be desired.

Just my $0.02

Care to elaborate on that? The only GGG harness I have is the Frog chest harness, but I know a number of folks who have their seat harnesses and seem pretty happy with them. I recall GGG had a problem a while back with knee pads straps slipping through the plastic buckles, but they fixed it by going to different webbing. Have you had bad experiences with their gear?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Amazingracer » May 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Regarding the GGG gear I have had numerous caving buddies suffer problem with the knee pads, myself included. The issue we all faced is that within a few months the straps ripped out of the kneepads.

I also had a friend who was ropewalking out of a rather large pit have the strap that connects the knee ascender of their ropewalker system ripped while climbing causing the ascender to become disconnected from the foot stirrup. The strap ripped because it was rubbing on a buckle that was part of the strap. He was able to fashion something out of carabiners to keep climbing, but it gave him a good scare.

I had an issue too with a piece of their ropewalker equipment. I had the bungie attachment break while climbing and the bungie became disconnected from my foot ascender. Thankfully i always wear my frog system when rope walking so i switched to frog and continued out the pit.

Now im not trying to drag GGG's name throught the mud. Some people love their stuff and have had zero issues, however after seeing so many issues with the gear i have had and my friends gear, I choose not to buy their products anymore. And also to GGG's credit they offered to repair the straps on my knee pads, but I didnt bother taking them up on the offer as I moved on to a different set of pads. Your mileage with GGG can and will vary, as with all vendors. However of all the cave vendors currently on the market I hear the most gripes about GGG.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » May 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Amazingracer wrote:Also the Petzl Serpetine
http://www.innermountainoutfitters.net/catalogentry.php?subcategoryid=13&page=all&catalogentryid=447&brand=Petzl

It's similar to what you already posted. I started using one of these when I became caving but found it too hard to adjust. I have several friends that swear by these though.

I am one that swears by the Serpentine. It is sometimes a bitch to put on by yourself without getting a twist in it, but once it's on it's good. I find it the most comfortable chest harness to wear for hours at a time.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby chh » May 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm still surprised that people buy "chest harnesses" that aren't anything more than a piece of webbing and a buckle. Go to an outdoors store and spend less than five bucks and get the same thing.
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby NZcaver » May 28, 2010 9:40 pm

chh wrote:I'm still surprised that people buy "chest harnesses" that aren't anything more than a piece of webbing and a buckle. Go to an outdoors store and spend less than five bucks and get the same thing.

I blame it on the great consumer society we live in. My GGG is the first and only commercial chest harness I've ever actually purchased. All the others I constructed from webbing, buckles, and a little sewing thread. I even used to make my own seat harnesses. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Tim White » Jun 1, 2010 9:33 am

:hijack:
Amazingracer wrote:I also had a friend who was ropewalking out of a rather large pit have the strap that connects the knee ascender of their ropewalker system ripped while climbing causing the ascender to become disconnected from the foot stirrup. The strap ripped because it was rubbing on a buckle that was part of the strap. He was able to fashion something out of carabiners to keep climbing, but it gave him a good scare.

Regarding the “failure” of the GGG knee ascender webbing, I think I have some incite on this. I assume you friend that had this occur is the same person that I know. After correspondence with both GGG and the owner of the failed product, it was determined that the adjustment buckle on the knee ascender was installed incorrectly. The ascender was not purchased new from GGG so the new owner did not have the information / instruction sheet.

I have the failed ascender webbing in my position and Berta and I plan to do testing on new material to see if we can replicate the failure.

This is not an real safety issue if you do not take your GGG ropewalker knee ascender apart and reassemble it incorrectly. Even so, GGG has chosen to discontinue the use of this buckle.

I'll post testing results in another topic once testing is completed.

Please do not reply to this post, as it it off topic. We can delve into this in another topic.

:sorry: :off topic:
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 1, 2010 1:05 pm

chh wrote:I'm still surprised that people buy "chest harnesses" that aren't anything more than a piece of webbing and a buckle.

NZcaver wrote:I blame it on the great consumer society we live in.

Come on now guys, I'm calling BS here. The fact that I would rather buy a product than make it myself is not really cause for "surprise" or any "blame".

I think it's great that so many cavers like to sew, build, and make their own gear. Personally, I have neither the time nor the interest for it. Time is money, and I gladly trade money for time, all the time. If you think about it, I'm sure you do too.

I like to spend my time ruining cave gear, not making it. :shrug:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 1, 2010 1:13 pm

jaa45993 wrote:I like to spend my time ruining cave gear, not making it. :shrug:

I like to spend Andy's money my time making gear so it can ruined, again and again. :laughing:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 1, 2010 2:15 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:I like to spend Andy's money my time making gear so it can ruined, again and again.

:exactly:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!