bought micro rack as my first .question about my weight

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

bought micro rack as my first .question about my weight

Postby rickster » May 21, 2010 8:40 pm

I bought the micro rack at the advice of a local caver.After having discovered your lengthy mr vs fr threads./arguments...im very confused now.I hvanet been on rope yet and plan on having cavemud to show me how to use this thing properly.I also got the revised edition of onrope. I am 6' 3" and m y weight averages 210.Was this a poor first choice?
rickster
Frequent Poster

Name: Rick OBanion
NSS #: 62960
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Hill Grotto and Nittany Grotto Inc.

Re: bought micro rack as my first .question about my weight

Postby ek » May 21, 2010 8:48 pm

So long as you get good instruction before using the device "for real", you'll probably be OK...though some heavier people find it difficult to control their descent with a micro-rack. If you find it difficult, then you should stop using the micro-rack, and use some other device like a full standard rack.

In my experience, people over 200 lbs do much better with the short (8") frame micro-rack than with the long (10") frame micro rack. Which did you purchase?
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby MUD » May 21, 2010 8:52 pm

:waving: Ya did alright Rick! You just have to learn the "ropes" now... :big grin: ...we'll go over all things vertical next weekend at *MUDfest* :woohoo: There will be all kinds of vertical devices there to try out!

:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby rickster » May 21, 2010 8:53 pm

its the 8" frame.
rickster
Frequent Poster

Postby rickster » May 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Thats Kool Mud.Cant Wait. :kewl:
rickster
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim White » May 23, 2010 8:11 pm

The issue may be that the 8' frame will not allow you the length (space) to spread the bars to reduce friction. You will just have to try it and see. But remember training may not be the same as real world use. Dirty rope, stiff rope, etc. will all change how the rack works.
And don't forget don't feed the micro rack! See NYLON HIGHWAY NO. 48 - 2003 (Electronic Format)
Be safe,
Tim White 26949 RL FE

Southeastern Region Coordinator - NCRC
Editor, Nylon Highway
Senior Technical Manager - Over the Edge, Inc.
Tim White
Global Moderator

Postby Chads93GT » May 23, 2010 8:55 pm

How do you view those electronic issues? there aren't an links on that page, only text saying what articles are in each issue. :shrug:
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ronsdavis » May 24, 2010 2:19 am

Being a 210 pounder myself, the 8" will certainly work. I did 281' on it yesterday. I did have to feed it though. I used the hyperbar, so I had more friction, but much less chance of popping any bars. The 10" rack would certainly make it easier to control, and in some cases make it so you can actually move. There is also a method of running through two bars, the hyperbar, and a braking carabiner. This gives you much more control, but is certainly not a first time on rope technique.
ronsdavis
Infrequent Poster

Postby ljthawk » May 24, 2010 12:41 pm

ronsdavis wrote:Being a 210 pounder myself, the 8" will certainly work. I did 281' on it yesterday. I did have to feed it though. I used the hyperbar, so I had more friction, but much less chance of popping any bars.

Yes, Ron Did. I believe that was on 11mm clean, but not new, rope.

L.J.
ljthawk
Frequent Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » May 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Rickster, I am about 210 and have the 10" with dual hyperbars. The second hyperbar never seems to get any use though. I will be at MUDfest, you can give it a try if you want.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » May 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Rickster

The 8-inch rack will give you less opportunity to reduce friction than a 10-inch rack. It may work fine with clean or thin ropes but give you trouble on a fat dirty rope and force you to feed the rope, which is best to avoid.

You can mount your rack to allow you to reduce friction to a minimum. To do so, attach the rack to your d-ring using a quicklink (or a locking 'biner if you are in that camp.) Attach it so that the tail of the rope enters the bottom of your rack from the far side. If you are right handed, you will probably have to reinstall the hyperbar so that it is on the right side when attached this way.

To reduce friction to a minimum while on rappel, take the tail off the hyperbar and spread the bars as far a possible. Don't place the tail over your hip, but rather let it feed up between your legs. With the setup described above, the tail will not have to curl around the rack frame. This avoids a significant amount of friction. I use this configuration on some of our perminent rigs, and it allows me to get down without feeding.

Recently I described this all to Carroll Bassett. He had not explored this issue, which explains way new racks are assembled as they are.

Dwight
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby driggs » May 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Chads93GT wrote:How do you view those electronic issues? there aren't an links on that page, only text saying what articles are in each issue. :shrug:

Issues #43 and higher are available electronically to members of the NSS Vertical Section (See: free Vertical Section signup) by clicking the unlinkable password-protected JavaScript text "Members' Access to Nylon Highway On-Line" on the Nylon Highway Issues page.

Luckily, author Scott McCrea makes things easy for you by simply putting his excellent article online: DANGER! Don't feed the micro-rack!
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Return to On Rope!