Backing up rigging to a tree

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Backing up rigging to a tree

Postby Bob Thrun » May 13, 2010 3:26 am

During the discussion on girth hitching, I looked thru Alpine Caving Techniques to find illustrations of girth hitches being used. I found three similar figures that show what I consider a strange technique. The figures are: Fig. 226, p. 181, Fig. 254, p. 191, and Fig. 261, p. 194.

The girth-hitched sling is the primary rigging and the main rope tied around the tree is the backup. Page 181 says "rig the upper end of the rope (free of tension) as a secondary anchor". Page 191 says "You must therefore install an additional backup anchor above the primary". In all three figures the tree is trusted as being sturdy enough. If I did not trust my sling as being strong enough, I would switch to stronger webbing or forget about the webbing sling and just tie my rope around the tree. Does anybody backup their rigging as shown?

Page 191 also has Fig. 253, which has only the rope tied around a tree.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Backing up rigging to a tree

Postby trogman » May 13, 2010 7:06 am

Hmmm...
That doesn't make sense to me. Usually when I "back up" my rigging, I do it on a separate anchor. In this situation, you actually weaken your rope unnecessarily by the addition of the figure eight knot which is clipped to the webbing. If the anchor fails for some reason, you are screwed anyway. So where is the backup? I for one do not use anything like this. Actually, I rarely use a backup because I try to always use a totally trustworthy anchor in the first place.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Stelios Zacharias » May 13, 2010 7:09 am

Bob Thrun wrote:ImageDoes anybody backup their rigging as shown?

Yes - here in Greece (and I expect in all of Europe) it is common to do this. The sling is used to avoid the rope rubbing on the bark of the tree. Slings are always backed up as they cannot be trusted as much as the rope itself.

Stelios
Stelios Zacharias
Frequent Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 13, 2010 9:35 am

No one uses rope pads to protect trees in Europe?
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ek » May 13, 2010 10:31 am

Stelios Zacharias wrote:...as they cannot be trusted as much as the rope itself.

Why?
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Amazingracer » May 13, 2010 3:11 pm

That doesnt seem unsafe, just unnecessarily complex.

Chad's right, whats wrong with just padding the tree and doing the normal wrap. It seems as though the sling would still have the capability of hurting the bark on the tree anyways. Why not just got out the middle man ;-)
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Dan Henry » May 14, 2010 9:14 am

This seems wrong on a couple of levels. For one, there's no redundancy as both ends are tied to the same anchor. Wouldn't you want a seperate anchor to have true redundancy? Like backing up to a different tree?

Secondly, the knot in the rope weakens the rope strength by about half. You're going to do this anyway the second you rig your first rebelay, but what's the point of doing it in a situation like this where you could do a simpler full strength tensionless tieoff and use less equipment?
Dan Henry
Asheville, NC
NSS#47794
Dan Henry
Frequent Poster

Name: Dan Henry
NSS #: 47794
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » May 14, 2010 9:32 am

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. The more links in a chain, the greater chance there is a weak link.

(feel free to substitute "rigging" for "chain")
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby ek » May 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Dan Henry wrote:This seems wrong on a couple of levels. For one, there's no redundancy as both ends are tied to the same anchor. Wouldn't you want a seperate anchor to have true redundancy? Like backing up to a different tree?

For true redundancy, yes, you'd want a separate anchor. But true redundancy, in the sense that the failure of any single component would not cause catastrophe, is not the goal here. And by the way, for true redundancy, you'd need two ropes too.

Often we rig redundantly in the limited sense that failure of any single anchor point (e.g. tree, bolt, formation) will not cause catastrophe. This is frequently prudent and the right thing to do. And sometimes it is pointless.

The example I like to give is of a huge, well-seated boulder by the entrance of a cave. Tying the rope directly to the whole thing (or using webbing) is non-redundant. Putting two bolts in the boulder and rigging to them is redundant. Which is better?

Well, in some cases, bolting it might be better--maybe the edges of the boulder are sharp and could damage the rope or webbing, or maybe you don't have much extra rope or webbing, but you do have a bolting kit and a fast and proficient bolter. (From a conservation perspective, of course, I would suggest that adding a bolt to a rock should not happen unless it is not safe to rig it in some less impactful way...but not everyone agrees with that.)

My point is that failure of the boulder will cause both the redundant and non-redundant anchors to fail. I would suggest that rigging off a large, live tree is more secure than rigging off of any number of bolts placed in the same wall, or even nearby walls.

The notion that it is necessary to rig redundantly, even when you have a suitable anchor point that is totally "bomber", might be an unfortunate filtering in of top-roped climbing techniques to vertical caving. In top-roped climbing, you want to place your anchor directly over the top of the rock or ice climb. So even if you have bomber trees, you'll usually use two of them, because having two allows you to place the anchor "power point" anywhere in between them. But when we're caving, especially with American-style rigging, this is silly and unnecessary. If there's a super-strong, super-reliable tree next to the cave entrance, and it's safe to approach the tree, and the lip that the rope will go over isn't too bad, and the rope will run down the hole in a way that provides for a safe rappel, just use it! (That's a long list...but those conditions are, more often than not, easily fulfilled.)

The goal of this rigging recommended in Alpine Caving Techniques seems to be (1) to avoid having a taut rope around a tree, with the idea that the tree can somehow abrade the rope (which seems silly to me...ropes damage trees plenty, but I've never seen a rope that appeared to have taken damage from a tree). And (2) to back up the sling, with the idea that the sling is less reliable than the rope.

I still want to know why someone's slings are less reliable than their ropes...and why they're not doing something about that. If you have any unreliable life-support equipment, that's a problem. And while some pieces of equipment are, by their very nature, less reliable than others--for instance, used and stored correctly and inspected frequently, ropes and webbing and slings virtually never break, whereas carabiners can come unclipped and ascenders can slide against some element of the environment and be removed from the rope--I don't see any reason why a sling that's less reliable than a rope would exist...or why a caver should ever tolerate the use of such a sling.

Dan Henry wrote:Secondly, the knot in the rope weakens the rope strength by about half. You're going to do this anyway the second you rig your first rebelay, but what's the point of doing it in a situation like this where you could do a simpler full strength tensionless tieoff and use less equipment?

When rappelling and ascending are what you're doing with your ropes, load-bearing knots tied in them don't impact the strength in any significant way:
On 1/29/09, I wrote:...If the rope runs over any edges, even if padded, it will likely break at the edges instead of the knot. If the rope runs (in single strand) through a carabiner or pulley at a high angle, there is some chance that it will break there instead of at the knot.

If you think about the kind of fall that would be necessary to produce forces high enough to break the rope at the knot (i.e. forces of about 2/3 the strength of the rope, since knots in kernmantle rope tend to weaken rope by 1/3 on average), well, take such a fall on ascenders and the ascenders sever the sheath and pull it down, limiting the loading and preventing knots from breaking. Or the ascenders would simply cut the rope--then the rope would break at the ascender-rope interface, and not at the knot. Now suppose you're descending. Then in a shockload your descender would slip, and hopefully you would be able to maintain control as the speed increases above what you had intended, perhaps while swinging against a wall. Suppose you have an auto-braking descender (or a descender with a braking assist, if that is the politically correct term for it these days..since they do not always break by themselves). Well, that will still slip. They are designed to slip...and it would be hard to design one that didn't slip anyway, even if you tried, because you would either have to have an exceedingly long handle or need to apply a tremendous force to move. Sometimes they do damage rope, though. They could even, like an ascender, cut the sheath and pull it down. While this is unlikely, it is theoretically possible for a descender to sever the rope in this situation. (Please note that, aside from the possibility in a shockload of swinging or falling into walls, or dislodging falling rocks, this is actually a safer situation than a free-fall rappel terminated by a release of the brake handle. In a very fast rappel, the friction surfaces of the auto-braking descender become very hot, so then the descender could potentially cut the sheath and melt the core. That is unlikely here.) Whatever happens, like in the case of ascenders, the force applied is limited to being way below what would break a knot.

So when could a knot actually be broken in a vertical caving situation? Well, it's unlikely, which is perhaps why it has (as far as I know) never happened. It is possible. I think the most likely cause would actually be exposure to the part of the rope with the knot in it to dangerous chemicals, e.g. sulfuric acid. However, if we're talking about a properly functioning rope, then no correct use would result in such a breakage. Incorrect use, i.e. really big shock loads, probably having to be bigger than FF1, could do it. But when ascending or descending normally, as detailed above, this cannot happen. Something else will give or break first. Well, there are two situations where the rope could break at the knot. One is when you are actually tied to the rope--in this post, I have already detailed one situation where I would tie a knot in the rope and clip myself to it. If there were another knot above this, that knot might break if the rope were overloaded. But the knot I'm tied to would be just as likely to break, and in any case the actual difference in the rope's strength would be minuscule.

The other situation, which may be more common, is that the descender is hard-locked off. Well, guess what, this is essentially another knot, and I think that the rope would be much more likely to break as it enters a hard-locked descender (of any type) than at another knot along its length. But it could break at the knot. Again, even if it did, at a very slightly higher load on the rope entering the descender, it would be able to break there. So again, the overall strength is not significantly reduced by the knot being in the rope.

I conclude this argument with a statement that is common sense to many cavers and rope users: Except in highly technical and particular situations (i.e. some highlines), knots in a rope do not actually weaken it significantly in a real world situation.

Getting back onto the topic of this interesting rigging technique recommended in Alpine Caving Techniques: There are plenty of situations where I would strongly prefer to rig to a tree with a sling or webbing, rather than directly with the rope--when the tree is sappy. But then I wouldn't tie the rope to the tree behind it, because that would defeat the point. Single slings and single pieces of webbing are trusted in rescue...it's odd that the authors of Alpine Caving Techniques are unwilling to trust them fully in sport use.

Stelios, I am interested to hear your reasoning for believing that a sling should be trusted less than a rope.

There is only one argument that I can devise for this claim: You're trusting the rope anyway, and there's nothing you can do about that (besides, of course, purchasing ropes of appropriate type and high quality from respectable manufacturers, using and caring for them properly, and inspecting them frequently and retiring them immediately when they are no longer safe). But every component besides a rope does not have to be trusted by itself--every other component can be "backed up" and you can still do Single Rope Technique. So back everything else up.

I don't agree with that reasoning, because I think that complexity often presents a significant danger...a much more significant danger than the risk that a sling, piece of webbing, or carabiner, properly used, will break.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Bob Thrun » May 14, 2010 6:07 pm

trogman wrote: In this situation, you actually weaken your rope unnecessarily by the addition of the figure eight knot which is clipped to the webbing.

I assume you are talking about knotless rigging. Every set of instructions of knots and rigging for cavers emphasizes that it develops the full strength of the rope. That is true, but you do not gain anything unless you have something with similar knotless rigging pulling very hard on the other end of the rope. Ascenders, cavers, and many descenders are all weaker than a knot. There might reasons why you want to use knotless rigging, but strength should not be one of them.

Knotless rigging is sometimes incorrectly called tensionless rigging. Tying a knot in the rope does not put it in tension. Either way, tension is put on the rope as soon as it is used. The way I do knotless rigging is not really knotless. I tie an end loop with a carabiner and clip it around the standing rope or use some half hitches - just to let people know the rope is tied off. I could wrap the rope around a tree six times and just leave it there.
Stelios Zacharias wrote:Slings are always backed up as they cannot be trusted as much as the rope itself.

I do not know what kinds of rope and webbing are used in Greece. ACT, page 60, recommends 10 mm rope, 24 to 26 kN strength, or even 9 mm rope. Page 81 says webbing is 15 kN. Sewn slings are said to be 22 kN, not twice 15.

In the US, 11 mm PMI Pit rope (29.1 kN, 6650 lbs) is popular. One inch tubular webbing (25 mm, 17.8 kN, 4000 lbs) is so widely used in caving and climbing that whenever someone talks about using webbing, that size is assumed. The characteristics of that webbing are given by a Military Specification, MIL-W-5625. It might not be available in Europe. There are many other sizes of mil-spec and non-mil-spec webbing. See http://www.onrope1.com and http://www.paragear.com for a wide variety of sizes.

If the webbing is girth-hitched around a tree as shown in ACT, there are two parts, 8000 lb combined, supporting a 6650 lb rope. The webbing is stronger than the rope. There are hitches and knots in the webbing and rope that cause some of the maximum strength to be lost, but they balance out between the rope and webbing and it doesn't matter anyway.

The toughness of tree bark varies with species. I don't know which is tougher. Arborists, who use ropes to climb into trees, use cambrium savers. To really protect trees, we should use the widest webbing possible.
Last edited by Bob Thrun on May 15, 2010 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

The only problem I see, is with a girth hitch, it still puts a lot of wear and tear on the tree bark. It needs to be padded. Girth hitches can move and slip when pulled in different directions. I thought the girth hitch with webbing for redirects on a surface rig would be fine, but the trees (one cedar, one hackberry) started showing signs of bark damage, so I began padding them. The only way I could see not padding the tree is if a w3p2 was used instead of a girth hitch.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » May 15, 2010 6:45 am

ek wrote:For true redundancy, yes, you'd want a separate anchor. But true redundancy, in the sense that the failure of any single component would not cause catastrophe, is not the goal here. And by the way, for true redundancy, you'd need two ropes too.

That is exactly what some cavers did in the early 1960's. I recall a cartoon about a belayed rappel. I thought it was in the Speleo Digest, but I cold not find it. Instead, I found leads to other articles.

In the NSS News, March 1962, p. 29, Tom Perara says, "The most important consideration in any caving trip should be safety and the ONLY way a caver can be as safe as possible while prusikking is to have a SEPARATE BELAY. "

In the NSS News, January 1965, p. 10, James W. Storey has an article Safety with Double Rappel Lines. He does not like the use of a single rope. He says "No matter how it is put, there is still only one line being used for rappelling and safety." He advocates the use of doubled 5/16" Goldline. (Goldline is a hard laid nylon rope.) "Even if one line breaks, the other is still stronger than 1/2" manilla." Ascending a doubled rope is no problem. "The prusik knot grips very well on the doubled rope on ascending and is especially good on muddy ropes." He does not mention if separate anchors are used.

Storey's article drew a reply from Bill and Susan Plummer, reprinted in the 1965 Speleo Digest, pages 4-11 and 4-12. Plummer describes triple 1/4" lines and other combinations. He suggests 144 strands of 25-lb test nylon fishing line. To prevent tangling, the lines are divided into three bundles. Each bundle is given a twist, then the bundles are twisted together in the opposite direction.

As recently as 1977, the Russian delegate to the International Congress of Speleology described rigging deep pits with both nylon rope and steel cable. Cavers climbed on the nylon rope with a fall arrester on the steel cable.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby snoboy » May 15, 2010 10:54 am

He suggests 144 strands of 25-lb test nylon fishing line. To prevent tangling, the lines are divided into three bundles. Each bundle is given a twist, then the bundles are twisted together in the opposite direction.

That is awesome, and will be used in the future...
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby Stelios Zacharias » May 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Bob Thrun wrote:I do not know what kinds of rope and webbing are used in Greece. ACT, page 60, recommends 10 mm rope, 24 to 26 kN strength, or even 9 mm rope. Page 81 says webbing is 15 kN. Sewn slings are said to be 22 kN, not twice 15.

ek wrote:Stelios, I am interested to hear your reasoning for believing that a sling should be trusted less than a rope.
There is only one argument that I can devise for this claim: You're trusting the rope anyway, and there's nothing you can do about that (besides, of course, purchasing ropes of appropriate type and high quality from respectable manufacturers, using and caring for them properly, and inspecting them frequently and retiring them immediately when they are no longer safe). But every component besides a rope does not have to be trusted by itself--every other component can be "backed up" and you can still do Single Rope Technique. So back everything else up.

I don't want to speak for all our community (people asking me what ropes and what slings we have in Greece). I can speak for what our grotto uses, which is pretty standard fare, I guess. We have ropes which conform to the CE and UIAA standards, usually 9mm or 9.5mm. We have slings that are sometimes strong - marked with three hashed lines and sometimes have been home-sewn out of industrial webbing (strong, but home-made). The ropes are looked after, the slings get thrown around rocks and sharp edges so that we don't endanger the rope itself. The thought process is that you can and should trust the rope 100% but everything else must be backed up, as ek says. I realise you use very different ropes in the US, much thicker and less likely to be damaged by wear. I think they say in the UK, "horses for courses".
Stelios Zacharias
Frequent Poster

Postby sherppa » May 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Amazingracer wrote:That doesnt seem unsafe

Agree...
For many people, it seems that a tensionless rigging would be a better option, but due to small diameter ropes used in Europe, the alpine technique avoids contact of the rope with objects that may cause abrasion. If there is rock or even mud, better rebelays than padding.
(my 2 cents)
sherppa
Frequent Poster

Next

Return to On Rope!