Croll's axle rotates freely - is that bad?

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Croll's axle rotates freely - is that bad?

Postby ek » May 1, 2010 9:48 am

The axle for my Croll's cam rotates freely. Without opening or in any way disengaging or changing the angle of the cam, I can rotate the rivets on the front and back of the cam, but putting a finger in the one on the front and rotating it. I do not believe this is possible on ascenders new from the factory. Otherwise, besides a some of corrosion on the cam and a slight bit of wear on the teeth, the unit looks and seems to function perfectly fine. Is this a safety issue? Should this Croll be retired / sent in for repair?

Here's a picture indicating what I am able to rotate, which I do not believe ordinarily rotates:

(Note that I did not take that picture. That image, without the red arrow that I drew on it, is from here.)
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: Croll's axle rotates freely - is that bad?

Postby Scott McCrea » May 1, 2010 2:03 pm

I would say send in for repair. Call Petzl first and get an RA#. It's probably not dangerous but it ain't right.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby ek » Jun 25, 2010 7:09 pm

I almost forgot to post an update...

Several weeks ago I called Petzl, they said I should send it in, they looked at it, and discussed it with me. James Good in Petzl America Warranty & Returns told me that there appeared to be corrosion in the cam spring, consistent with the high level of wear the device exhibited elsewhere (paint rubbed off, rust on the cam). I mentioned that, due to WNS, the device stays in closed plastic bags for hours at a time (and days if we don't get around to deal with it the day of the trip). He said that likely had to do with it, and that we should expect an accelerated rate of corrosion if we're leaving wet gear with metal parts in plastic bags for long periods of time.

James said that they do not recommend continuing to use the product, in part because that kind of corrosion indicates a general state of high wear, and I heartily agreed to this recommendation. Apparently this particular issue is (at least somewhat) novel to Petzl and they asked for permission to keep the device. It actually belonged to SUOC. I got permission to let them keep it, which they have done. Petzl offers PPE inspection training courses, and they will be using the unit as a demonstration model.

EDIT: Grammar (belongs -> belonged)
Last edited by ek on Jun 26, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Jun 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks for the update.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to On Rope!