Washing rope

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Washing rope

Postby jharman2 » Apr 26, 2010 12:46 pm

The best method is to pressure wash it which takes lots of time and a good bit of money unless you have your own pressure washer. The 2nd best method is the rope brush I linked you to. It only takes a couple minutes for two people to wash 100' of rope. About a week ago, I washed 300 feet of rope by myself using the brush. I spent about 15 minutes which included two passes through the brush.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby knudeNoggin » Apr 27, 2010 12:00 am

... or loan it to a canyoneer rapping waterfalls ...

:tonguecheek:
knudeNoggin
Prolific Poster

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm

I've been thinking about this since the weekend. I wondering what the value is of actually cleaning the ropes if (as Scott's tests showed) the dirt tends not to penetrate the sheath of PMI pit rope? It's certainly not as messy to handle but that's going to change the very next time it's used.
Underground Explorers
California Abandoned Mine Exploration
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Name: Mike Schriber
NSS #: 65042
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Postby NZcaver » Apr 28, 2010 12:54 am

OpenTrackRacer wrote:I've been thinking about this since the weekend. I wondering what the value is of actually cleaning the ropes if (as Scott's tests showed) the dirt tends not to penetrate the sheath of PMI pit rope? It's certainly not as messy to handle but that's going to change the very next time it's used.

When your ropes get significantly dirty, don't be reluctant to clean them. It will improve the handling for rigging and for coiling/bagging. It should reduce excessive friction when rappelling, making for a smoother descent and minimizing the wear on your descenders (especially aluminum ones). It may also make for more efficient ascending, and less wear on your ascenders. Not to mention it will make your rope much easier to inspect for cuts, abrasion, and other damage.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby OpenTrackRacer » Apr 29, 2010 7:17 pm

That's probably the biggest single reason to wash them in my mind at this point. It also points towards a rope washer as a good choice since you have to handle every inch of the rope. I think it's likely that the mine environment impacts the ropes differently than caves. Our ropes can best be described as dusty. The mine is filled with very fine (sometimes powdery) dust. We are hardly even in wet mines so there is no mud or other thick caked on grit. I expect the ropes to perform pretty much the same if they're dirty or clean. Still, I'm sure a little Woolite will make them a bit softer and more flexible.

NZcaver wrote:Not to mention it will make your rope much easier to inspect for cuts, abrasion, and other damage.
Underground Explorers
California Abandoned Mine Exploration
http://www.undergroundexplorers.com
OpenTrackRacer
Prolific Poster

Name: Mike Schriber
NSS #: 65042
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern California

Previous

Return to On Rope!