Backing up Tensionless Hitch / High Strength Tie Off

Discuss vertical caving, equipment, & techniques. Also visit the NSS Vertical Section.

Moderator: Tim White

Backing up Tensionless Hitch / High Strength Tie Off

Postby FreightTrain » Jul 23, 2018 11:37 am

All,

Lets say there are two stalagmites that are suitable for rigging near a pit.

I would like to do a Tensionless hitch on the stalagmite closest to the drop (Stalagmite #1). However, I generally favor tying backups, so I am left to ponder the following......

On Stalagmite #1, should I tie a "closed" version of the tensionless hitch, complete with a biner and figure 8 on a bight, and then run the excess rope up to the backup rig (Stalagmite #2)? Or, conversely, should I simply wrap the rope around Stalagmite #1, forgo the biner/8, and then close the system with a knot at Stalagmite #2?

Essentially, what it comes down to whether or not it is good practice to "close" my first tensionless rig, or whether just wrapping it will be sufficient.

I appreciate whatever advice you all have to offer!

Thanks
FreightTrain
Infrequent Poster

Re: Backing up Tensionless Hitch / High Strength Tie Off

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm

Ask yourself what would happen if the first anchor failed. Could a simple tensionless allow the broken stal to escape, thus creating a shock load? I doubt it, and would guess that either way would be fine. Backing up stal with stal is not always particularly useful though. If you use the stoutest choice for the primary anchor, and for some reason it fails, the backup is just as likely to go too. I would either equalize the two anchors, find a more bombproof backup, or forgoe backup altogether.

Backups are most often used for phsycological reasons. Once you start thinking about them in practical terms you'll realize that they are sometimes unnecessary or useless.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby FreightTrain » Jul 25, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks, Groundquest. Appreciate the insight.
FreightTrain
Infrequent Poster

Postby CaverCarl » Oct 21, 2018 6:13 pm

Why are you using a Tensionless Hitch?
Why not just tie a knot?
CaverCarl
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 36117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CNJG

Return to On Rope!