Any Camera Repair Guru's?

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Any Camera Repair Guru's?

Postby CaverScott » Jan 9, 2006 7:46 pm

I have a Canon AE-1 (SLR) circa 1981 (Original owner). My 16 year old boy wants desperately to use it; however, whenever I advance the film frame, the camera automatically takes a photo. :hairpull: Any suggestions how to resolve this without taking to a camera shop? :help:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby Mike Cato » Jan 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Take it to someone who used to work at a camera shop. :-)

Actually, and interestingly enough Scott, I have the same model camera purchased sometime in the early '80s that also had a bug. Mine turned out to be barely corroded battery contacts although I never noticed any corrosion on a battery.

In your case, it sounds like something you can't (or don't want to try to) get to is the problem. Probably some expertise is required.
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby ScottM » Jan 10, 2006 3:54 pm

This is from a friend of mine that runs a Camera shop in California.

No, the camera needs to be serviced. There is a part in the camera that needs to be replaced

I think it may run around $95.00. I've not had one apart, but we send ours out to a repair center in Santa Barbara.
ScottM
Occasional Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 10, 2006 6:10 pm

ScottM wrote:This is from a friend of mine that runs a Camera shop in California.

No, the camera needs to be serviced. There is a part in the camera that needs to be replaced

I think it may run around $95.00. I've not had one apart, but we send ours out to a repair center in Santa Barbara.

If the parts and labor are going to run $100 or more, you should think about going to Ebay and replacing the camera.
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Blackie » Jan 30, 2006 6:28 pm

Many years ago this guy repaired a shutter problem in my K1000.
http://www.camerarx.com/frames/index2.html
I had the problem repaired by an authorized Pentax repair center.
Yeah, their repair only lasted a year and this guy repaired it for like a third of what the Pentax folks charged. And his repair lasted.
He only works on mechanical cameras.
Blackie
Infrequent Poster

You never know

Postby CaverScott » Jan 31, 2006 8:13 am

I had forgotten about this post. A few days after I posted this, my son went onto a Camera junkie's discussion board (like this one) and asked around. One person gave him his home phone number to call him. They talked about it and the internet repairer told him to open it up and clean the magnets :question:, reassemble it carefully, and see what develops :doh: (Sorry, could not resist the pun). Anyway, that solved the problem and Ryan has shot at least five rolls of film with some impressive results. :woohoo:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Return to Photography and Videography Forum