NSS Photography Section?

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

NSS Photography Section?

Postby caveguy » Jan 4, 2006 2:49 pm

Is the Photography Section currently alive? I've emailed both Karen Kastning and Bill Frantz but was ignored. They are the contacts listed at http://www.caves.org/committee/i-o/section_list.htm.
Rick
====
Southern Colorado Mountain Grotto
Williams Canyon Project Trustee
Fairy Cave Project Trustee
Colorado Cave Rescue Network
Colorado Madrats
caveguy
Infrequent Poster

Postby Realms » Jan 4, 2006 10:17 pm

I too am wondering the same thing. I joined up and payed the yearly dues last July and haven't heard or recieved anything since. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS Photography Section

Postby george jaegers » Jan 16, 2006 7:37 pm

Yes, the photography section is still alive, or at least it was during the Alabama convention. I am currently a co-editor of the newsletter, Flash, for the section. The newsletter, however, is running somewhat behind the times in that it is published only once a year and there are a couple of years back publishing that still have to be done. I haven't heard from Karen for sometime, since speaking to her at the convention so I don't know of any recent changes. However, I am looking for cave photography articles for the next issue of Flash so please help get the section back on track and send something to me.
george jaegers
Infrequent Poster

Postby Realms » Jan 17, 2006 8:33 pm

Is there enough interest to warrant making more than one newsletter per year? I just Joined at the Convention in Huntsville. It's new to me so I don't know how big the section is or really much about it other than what I have read from the website. Is the section really active? I would be willing to submit articles on photo equipment that I design and use but the thought of having to possibly wait a year to see it in a newsletter is starting to make me think twice. I'm not meaning to grip, just wondering what makes this section a section. Any enlightenment would be wonderful.
Lets go shoot some pics:-)
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby rcoomer » Jan 17, 2006 10:28 pm

I was in the section for one year, and honestly didn't see any real value in it? The publication is so far behind, it didn't mean much to me, and since I do my own yearly photo issue for the Electric Caver, I had already seen many of the articles that were published or they just seemed dated in reference to digital photography. Other than the yearly business meeting and presentation at convention, what is the benefit? If you miss convention or the session even if you are there, what's left?

I think the section needs to be reworked so that there is some benefit of some sort? Regional photo trips? Other contests? Regional displays and group show? Online portfolio/gallery? E-mail list or something? Up to date newsletters and photo posts? A catalog and review / crit of the salon images?

But looking at the lack of activity on this forum, I understand why the section is the way it is. I am the member of several nature photography groups and there is benefit to them with personal interaction (over the internet), photo critiques, suggestions, technical discussions, and etc. There may just be too few of us, too far away to form a real cohesive group?

Am I missing something? What does the photo section need to be relevant to most of us currently shooting?
--
Rob Coomer
Fine Art Cave and Nature Photography
http://www.robertcoomer.com
rcoomer
Occasional Poster

Postby Realms » Jan 18, 2006 12:53 am

It would be nice to have an on-line gallery of submissions by the various cave photographers. There could be a monthly photographer spotlight write up similar to the one that is done on cavers in the NSS News. Also tips and tricks could be posted as well. Articles dealing with photo trips could be submitted. Back issues of the "Flash" could be digitized. These options could be placed behind a members only section where you were issued a password to access things that your $10 went to. There are several out there including myself that I'm sure would be happy to help set up a site. I create a lot of web galleries and lots of general web design work. Seriously though, I'm not by any means trying to step on any ones toes. I just feel there is a great potential in what this could be. I picked up a camera 3 years ago because I was inspired by the caves I saw and the pictures the cave photographers took. The Cave Photography Section really needs to be that, a Cave Photography Section and I will offer to help any way I can. (not referring to submitting something that will show up a year later)
:-)
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Cave Photography Section

Postby Dave Bunnell » Jan 20, 2006 1:00 am

When the section started it was very active, and FLASH came out pretty regularly. I was editor for a couple years. But I think after awhile, it seemed like we'd kind of covered most topics, and FLASH was mostly relegated to printing more detailed lists of the salon results than the News did. Many of the more active photographers seemed to drift away from the section, including myself.
I always thought having a web site would be an immense benefit to the section, so I hope they will take you up on your offer, Nathan. I also think it would make more sense to just have individual PDFs or html-based articles on the web site, instead of a printed copy. Things could be much more timely that way. There's so much happening on the digital scene that there is a lot one could write about. One of the features we had in FLASH in the old days was to ask various cave photographers what they packed for their trips, and it would be an interesting topic to re-visit in the digital age.
The other advantages of the web-based publishing over the printed one is that it could be in color, something I always thought FLASH needed, and without mailing costs, dues could be made minimal or non-existent if space on the NSS server was free for sections (?).
If the web site idea gels I will be happy to contribute something for it, an article or two in PDF format.
Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Re: Cave Photography Section

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 20, 2006 11:09 am

Dave Bunnell wrote:dues could be made minimal or non-existent if space on the NSS server was free for sections (?).

It will cost a little bit. $12 a year for 25mb. http://www.caves.org/webservices/
Still way cheaper than publishing in color and mailing! :goodjob:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Photography section

Postby george jaegers » Jan 21, 2006 5:53 pm

I fully agree with most of the opinions expressed in this discussion. I have found it virtually impossible to get anyone to submit articles for the Flash newsletter for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is only published once a year and it is a couple of years behind right now. At that rate any article written today would be about obsolete technology by the time it gets published. I think the website is a great idea. I currently have a cave photography website (cavingexpeditions.com) and I would gladly contribute assistance in setting up a site for the photography section. I don't know, however, what is needed to move forward with this idea. I assume the president of the section needs to be contacted and maybe some sort of vote taken of the members for approval to get going. I also haven't heard from Karen for quite a while, actually since I spoke to her at the Alabama convention.
george jaegers
Infrequent Poster

Postby Realms » Jan 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Alrighty :-) lets find out who we need to speak with and get the ball rolling. Good times await ;-)
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Jan 27, 2006 10:22 pm

I put together a list of things that would be cool to have on a proposed NSS Cave Photography Section website. Any additions will only help so please share your ideas. Such things might include (some of which I may have stated before)

A gallery where photographers could submit work for display. These could be randomly switched out from week to week, month to month, etc. After all what good would a site about cave photography be without cool cave photos :-)

A section on techniques, tips, and tricks would be very helpful especially to new photographers.(Achievable)

We could have a gear review. This could range any were from cameras to the gear we haul them in as well as many other things used and associated with cave photography. Since we work in an extremely rugged environment we would be able to share what works well for caving.

A monthly spotlight including a bio on a cave photographer might be a nice touch. Cool way to learn about the folks behind the cool images we enjoy seeing.

A digital section focusing on cutting edge technology and how it will apply to our shooting environment.

Wacky invention of the month. Showcase cool and odd contraptions that cave photographers come up with to help them get the shots they want or that help with the typical problems associated with cave photography. (I know not everyone wants to show off gadgets they come up with for obvious reasons but some may and submissions would be totally voluntary)(Achievable)

Photo Trip Section that posts photo trip reports. (Achievable)

History section dealing with the history of capturing that special image in a cave. (Monthly report possible) (Achievable)

Links Page, linking to valuable info such as flashbulb info, closed cave list, cavers personal cave image sites.

These are just some things I would enjoy seeing on such a site. I am only one person looking at this thing from one side so I know taste will differ across the board. I just figured this might help springboard such a concept to the next level.
As for web design and coding, I could build the framework in about 1-2 weeks and have it ready to plug in the information. Now I'm not that experienced in setting up a pass-worded members only section but the CSS work is a piece o cake.

Comments? Ideas? Rant me out? Lol :tonguecheek:

Thanks

Realms

http://www.realmsofreality.net/
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jan 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Realms - those are some great ideas! :kewl:

Access to a good informative/interactive website like you described would be a persuasive reason to join the Cave Photography Section. It's one of only three NSS sections that don't have a webpage listed. What will it take to get this off the ground?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Realms » Jan 27, 2006 11:54 pm

Well like it was mentioned earlier, we would have to go through the proper channels. It would more than likely have to be brought up to be voted on. The current chairperson over the section would need to be involved in all of this of course. I'm really new to the world of cave photography (about 3 years now) and I don't know many of the key people who would be in charge per say of this. I however feel I can help offer ideas, concepts, and aid with implementation. I have even toyed with the idea of constructing a prototype website to use as a model. Seems I have a better time expressing my ideas with some sort of model. But again, I'm not out to stir up heat, step on toes, or seem pushy. Just expressing one of several possible ideas to make something with potential move into a new generation of media and technology. After all its was all you pro photographers out there that inspired me to pick up a camera and go out and snap. Just trying to give something back.
I imagine we might try contacting Karen Kastning (email listed at top of thread) Anyone out there know some contacts that will help with these ideas? George, does this sound like something that would bode well for the section? I'm asking you because your the only one with the section that I see posting here.

Realms
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Jan 28, 2006 12:21 am

Oops i got happy with the spell check and wasn't paying close attention up there in my sugestion message. Everything that has (Achievable) by it should read (Archivable) as this info could be placed in a way that could be accessed later down the road for various reasons.

Realms
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 28, 2006 4:23 pm

Technical note: You can hit the edit button in the upper right hand corner of your message window, and then correct spelling, and delete or add words, sentences, and smilies.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.... :waving:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Return to Photography and Videography Forum