A nice article on Peter Jones, with pictures

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ernie Coffman » Mar 5, 2009 10:16 am

A really nice article on Peter Jones, showing some of his great pictures down in Lechie. :cave softly:
http://knox.villagesoup.com/AandE/story ... yID=148544 This will feature "Peter at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 17, for a slide presentation titled "A Lifetime Caving in the Guadalupe Mountains." Looks like something you'd want to see if you lived close enough.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: A nice article on Peter Jones, with pictures

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 5, 2009 3:39 pm

I wish I lived close enough to go! Just the shots in the announcement look pretty good.

However, the photo of a "hidden room" in Carlsbad Cavern looks suspiciously like Hidden Cave in the High Guads. I wonder if that's what the original caption was.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Mar 5, 2009 3:58 pm

This quote, "Nearly all Jones' images were taken in the caves of the Guadalupe Mountains of New Mexico and West Texas. The Guadalupes are home to two world-famous caves, Carlsbad Cavern and Lechuguilla Cave, yet these are only two of nearly 400 known to exist in "The Guads." gives me the idea that he was making a generalization...or the writer was, so it might just be Hidden. When going down to Lake of the Clouds in Carlsbad, though, there are some nice areas like this and the flooring sure looks familiar. :shrug:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby William Tucker » Mar 5, 2009 4:46 pm

I am almost certain this is not Hidden. Hidden does have a passage of similar size with a flat floor like that but the ceiling is not nearly as decorated as the photograph. I bet it is in Carlsbad Caverns somewhere -- probably back in Left Hand Tunnel.
William Tucker
Frequent Poster

Name: William Tucker
NSS #: 55566RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Lubbock Area Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Mar 5, 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah, I suppose there would be at least a few broken stals in the shot if it was that passage in Hidden.

Left Hand Tunnel is decked out like that and does have a flat floor. I bet you're right. It's been a long time since I was in either Hidden Cave or Left Hand Tunnel. I'm sure Peter has nice shots of both.

I guess I've just gotten used to reporters not quite getting caves, so I was suspicious. You know, like calling a passage a cave or a tunnel or vice versa.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby pj » Jun 6, 2010 6:04 am

The "real" Peter Jones here. Just saw the posting with my name attached to it so couldn't pass up the chance to see what it was all about. To answer the question, I could not log in to the Village Soup website to see which image the article refers to, but if they used the correct name, it was indeed taken in Hidden Cave in the upper portion. I attach a thumbnail of it here for those who, like me, can't see it. The lower portions of Hidden are generally more photogenic, especially with all the restoration work that has been done in that area, but I really liked this particular area. The flat floor, great number of stals hanging down like curtains and the ability to backlight the image for dramatic effect made it a great photo opportunity.

I've shot in Left Hand Tunnel quite a bit, but this was not taken there.

Peter

pj
Infrequent Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum