Helmet Cams

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Helmet Cams

Postby rayduke » Sep 24, 2008 2:57 pm

I'm leaving Afghanistan today, or at least as soon as the next flight is available for my R&R time in AZ and MT. In the span of 10 days I hope to hit 30 caves and get helmet cam footage of every inch of every one of them. You might call it a Cave-a-thon. My camer is a VIO POV1 and I'm wondering if anyone has used this camera in caves and if so, how was the footage. For Light I'll be wearing a Duo 14 as well as the new MYO XP, both of which have over 100 lumens if you want them to. I'm expecting that in large rooms the light may not be enough for the helmet cam, and in tight passages I may need to turn off one light and dim the other so I don't wash out the picture completely. The whole assembly is water resistant and easily made waterproof with a litte bit of ingenuity and RTV, so I may also get some sump diving video. Also, if any cavers in Montana have a trip planned or need a partner to make a trip between the dates of October 15 and October 24 I'm always up for a day of bruising every joint in my body and freezing along the way. So, if anyone has used a POV1 I'd like to hear how it worked out in the cave for you.

Cave Softly,
Ray Duke
rayduke
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: cochise county cavers

Re: Helmet Cams

Postby NZcaver » Sep 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Have you searched the forum for more helmet cam info? I think the POV1 was mentioned back in this earlier topic.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby rayduke » Sep 24, 2008 5:13 pm

I had read that post back when I ordered the camera, and thank you for the link. I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread on it since it's been such a long time without anything new.
rayduke
Infrequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: cochise county cavers

Postby NZcaver » Sep 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Great! I hope the camera works out well for you. The specs look considerably better than my ATC-2K, but of course that was much cheaper.

Starting a new topic is fine, but there's no problem if you choose to post in an old topic instead. It tends to make information easier to search for later if it's not scattered in quite so many different places. This isn't one of those forums where you get told off because you posted in a topic that's been dormant for years. :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Photography and Videography Forum