Paranormal explanation for dust/water spots and fog!

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Paranormal explanation for dust/water spots and fog!

Postby NZcaver » Sep 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Unexpected Encounters in Middle Tennessee

Dedicated to exhibiting a factual photographic record of paranormal activity discovered, by accident, during several Cave excursions.

"A family outing to a cave system reveals far more, in photographs than expected! ... During this outing three different cameras recorded anomalies of same or similar context. Given such proof eliminates camera malfunction, lens contamination or atmospheric interference normally ascribed by those seeking to debunk such phenomena. The quality of digital photographs taken during this excursion, and four subsequent visits, confirm, without question, the existence of a 'spirit-dimension' just beyond our own..."

See www.bunkumcave.com

...And for only $29.99, you can receive Art and Pam Fournier's twin CD book presentation about all this. Sign me up! :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Paranormal explanation for dust/water spots and fog!

Postby Steven Johnson » Sep 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Wow.

That's just.... wow.

If they charge $30 for a picture of a single "orb", how much should I charge for a print of this masterpiece?

:banana: :rofl:
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Sep 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Cool. I need to contact them. I just started selling paranormal anomaly insurance--full coverage, reasonable rates. Thanks for the tip, NZ!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Sep 18, 2008 7:30 pm

We went through that whole thing on our mtb forum. I wanted to go try a trail that was supposedly haunted (because it was close to the route I took to Simmon's memorial service)--but it rained. It was near Simmon's service site, not haunted because of that. And I wanted to go there because it was handy, not because it was haunted.

Anyhoo, someone who thought it was haunted had pictures of orbs and made a big deal of it. But the more we researched it, it appears the paranormal folks have largely realized orbs aren't paranormal afterall. I think there are a few stalwarts, but most of 'em gave it up due to evidence that they can be created on purpose.

Excellent, picture of the orbs, though, Steven. You must be very special! :big grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Sep 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Cool. I need to contact them. I just started selling paranormal anomaly insurance--full coverage, reasonable rates. Thanks for the tip, NZ!

No problemo!

Shhh! :shhh: Don't anybody tell them the best insurance against "paranormal activity" appearing in cave photos is to use off-camera flashguns and keep your damn lens clean! :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby jharman2 » Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am

Those apparitions really scare me. But not as much as The Devil From Hell!

I can't believe any of us ever survived.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby David Grimes » Sep 22, 2008 9:16 pm

I once got a picture taken of myself in Langdon's Cave here in Indiana where the fog behind appeared to make a face. I thought it was rather interesting but everyone else swore the cave was haunted after that. Funny how the dark can make people see things they never thought existed. If I find the pic I will post it on here.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby NZcaver » Sep 23, 2008 1:49 am

It's not a cave photo, but... this shot I took a few weeks ago might really excite some of these paranormal people! :laughing:

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 2, 2008 12:59 pm

I took this photo during a clean up trip in Mammoth Cave earlier this year. Didn't realize until i got home that it looks like someone screaming....
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Oct 2, 2008 1:01 pm

I also took this one in Anderson Springs Cave, which is on Pigeon Mtn in North Georgia... Kinda looks like a man's face...
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby haples1 » Jun 6, 2009 10:49 am

Someone commented that that these pictures where the result of 'cave-clouds'. Anyone have an explanation for what that is suppose to be?
haples1
Infrequent Poster

Postby haples1 » Jun 6, 2009 11:01 am

I find some of the pictures at this web site amusing yet, not all seem to fall into the catagory of water spots and fog. Especially those taken outside the cave in broad daylight! I remember a book written by an experimental physicist and co-authored by a Doctor of Divinity. Title: The Orb Project. The book made for a compelling read and covered the subject in depth. Written by Miceal Ledwith, D.D., LL.D., and Klous Heinemann, Ph.D., if anyone is seriously interested in getting to the bottom of this.
haples1
Infrequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 6, 2009 12:29 pm

haples1 wrote:Someone commented that that these pictures where the result of 'cave-clouds'. Anyone have an explanation for what that is suppose to be?

Yeah. Most caves in the US midcontinent are in the vicinity of 55° F and 100% humidity. Put a person at 98.6° in there, have him/her exert themselves, and they'll sweat and breathe heavily. All their moisture hitting the cold, moist cave air makes the water precipitate out of the vapor in the air as microdroplets--or "cave-clouds.'
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby ian mckenzie » Jun 6, 2009 2:04 pm

Our caves here (Canadian Rockies) are on either side of the freezing mark, and in their hi-humidity conditions one's breath always produces steam - with one exception, a cold-trap cave called The Ice Trap which is so dry that one's breath does not get a chance to steam - now that's paranormal!
ian mckenzie
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Alberta Speleological Society

Postby NZcaver » Jun 6, 2009 2:26 pm

haples1 wrote:I find some of the pictures at this web site amusing yet, not all seem to fall into the catagory of water spots and fog. Especially those taken outside the cave in broad daylight! I remember a book written by an experimental physicist and co-authored by a Doctor of Divinity. Title: The Orb Project. The book made for a compelling read and covered the subject in depth. Written by Miceal Ledwith, D.D., LL.D., and Klous Heinemann, Ph.D., if anyone is seriously interested in getting to the bottom of this.

Welcome to the forum. I admit I've not the read the book you mentioned, nor it is likely to be on my must-read list. I have read reviews and synopses of it though, and it convinced me of really only one thing. There are people out there who are easily entranced by the presence of all those dust particles, water droplets, and lens artifacts which the rest of us photographers strive to eliminate in their images. There always has been and probably always will be a subset of people who like to preserve a little spiritual mystery in their lives, even at the expense of science and logic. Good for them, but I'll stick to being a skeptic until proven otherwise. :big grin:

FYI - if anyone is seriously interested in 'getting to the bottom of this'... a quick search of YouTube reveals a rare phenomenon known as Orb Skepticism - aka simple logic - 101 (and 102). :tonguecheek:

I say again:

NZcaver wrote:Shhh! :shhh: Don't anybody tell them the best insurance against "paranormal activity" appearing in cave photos is to use off-camera flashguns and keep your damn lens clean! :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum