Looking for a good "stitching" program

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for a good "stitching" program

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 1, 2008 10:25 pm

Looking for a good photo "stitching" program... something capable of more than JUST panoramics...... I need to be able to stitch top to bottom and side to side as well.... Any ideas or recomendations.......I have one that does fairly good pano's....
EXAMPLES.

Image...................Slab Room, "Hole Cave", Private. East Tn

Image..................The Lake, "Hole Cave", Private. East Tn

Image..................Looking Up "The 2 Liter" at the "Hole Entrance".... "Hole Cave", Private. East Tn

These are OK, but I dont care for the black blobs around them, and some of my more recent "discoveries" demand more epansive photo stitching to get the WHOLE view of the "subject".... ANYWAYS, any suggestions appretiated..CHEERS!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712
Co-Chair: Six Ridges Grotto

"Carpe Infinium".....Take it ALL!!!
"Molan Labe" ........ Come and Get Some!!
bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh
NSS #: 60712
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Six Ridges Grotto

Re: Looking for a good "stitching" program

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 1, 2008 10:38 pm

I use hugin:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

It's pretty advanced and does a really good job, although hopefully your computer has a fair bit of RAM because it will use almost as much as it can. (you can ask it to use less I think)

There are heaps of other stuff you can do with it and it's not just limited to panoramas, it does take a bit to learn however and choosing the right anchor points takes sometime and effort but if you persist you'll get some great stitches, (even zooming right in and knowing the photo boundaries and in most photos I can't tell where it decided to stitch them). :kewl:

It also does stuff like fix lens distortion, other stuff like vignetting etc.. Anyway take a look.

Oh and it's free :woohoo:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 2, 2008 5:27 am

Thanx, fuzzy.... i downloaded it, but havent had the time to check it out yet... seems to boast about the very features i need though.... CHEERS!!!!
will post some results soon!!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712

bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 2, 2008 5:07 pm

Well.. Heres what I ended Up with .........after MANY multiple attempts

2 versions of the same thing, with a different "Lens Perspective" One little "oops" at far right, center... at the bottom of the "gothic lantern" looking formation, but overall, i think it gets the point accross.
(BTW, these Photos are of "The Wailing Wall" , a 60 ft high X 25 ft wide "bacon" speleothem in an un-documented, private owned, local cave I, and some fellow "cavers" are currently surveying)

But the program seems to work pretty good, although, you were right... figuring out the anchor points bit was a challenge, and i still cant get rid of the monochrome boarders without cropping out part of the precious pic..... ANYWHO!!
Thanks again for the info, and the lead.... and CHEERS!!!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712

bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 2, 2008 7:03 pm

bronzzhorse wrote: and i still cant get rid of the monochrome boarders without cropping out part of the precious pic..... ANYWHO!!

Without taking and stitching more photos (and them cropping) or causing distortion in the stitched photos you won't be able to get rid of those borders, you'll just have to crop them to size. :doh:

Oh I just remembered hugin seems to get a fair bit of benefit if you do horizontal and / or vertical features in your stitches, this prevents wavy horizons (not really a problem in caves) but stuff like flowstone shelves or big vertical stals would make good horizontal and vertical lines. From memory you can do these by picking 2 points on the same photo.

When picking control points (the automatic thing didn't work for me) hugin gives an idea of how well these fit or error factors these can be helpful, also I found less is more, go for relatively few points but with a low error for best results, your experience might be different though
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Brian Masney » Sep 3, 2008 8:04 am

If you are using Windows, then check out AutoStitch:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

The program will also run under Linux using Wine.

The researchers have a website up with information about their panorama research.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/panorama/panorama.html

Brian
Brian Masney
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 51142
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby bronzzhorse » Sep 4, 2008 3:03 pm

Funny you mention that..,... AutoSTitch was the first program i downloaded... it just seemed to glitch my computer up really bad... dont know why.... i have noticed that with my OS(Windows XP 64 BIT) a LOT of programs either DONT work, or dont work CORRECTLY... im seiously thinking about going back to good ole 32 bit. ANYWAYS... thanks, though, and CHEERS!!!
Josh Dunn
NSS# 60712

bronzzhorse
Prolific Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum