Camera Armor for DSLRs

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Camera Armor for DSLRs

Postby Dave Bunnell » Jul 11, 2008 11:02 am

I recently found out about a product that looks like it might be useful for those of us who shoot DSLRs underground. It's called Camera Armor, and is a silicone casing that covers much of the camera controls, the screen, and part of the lens barrel. It's not a full enclosure, so not waterproofing. It would primarily protect against impacts and possibly help keep dust or grit out of the controls. Here's the web site for it:

http://made-products.com/

It runs about $45 on ebay. I haven't had a hands-on look at it yet, and I'm wondering if anyone here has used it. My one concern is whether it makes the controls any more difficult to use.

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Re: Camera Armor for DSLRs

Postby mpphoto » Nov 17, 2008 12:01 pm

These things are kind of an annoyance - they fit and work correctly when the camera is handheld, but as soon as you attach a dovetail to mount on a tripod they bunch up on the bottom.
mpphoto
New Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: UTGrotto

Postby YuccaPatrol » Nov 17, 2008 12:37 pm

I have a similar skin for a small compact camera. To solve the problem of bunching up when screwed to a tripod mount, I just got out my wife's kitchen shears and cut the hole in the bottom bigger.
YuccaPatrol
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Andrew Mobley
NSS #: 58447
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Kevin Bruff » Dec 11, 2008 7:37 pm

a guy in my grotto has one and i've used his camera to shoot a few dozon pics and although it looks ugly (red cover on a black camera) that was the only down side of it that i noticed. seems like a good product. maybe the price is alittle high though. it does offer alittle more protection than not having one. i dont think dirt and mud would get on the body as easy.

kevin
Kevin Bruff
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 59277
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Mountain Empire Birmingam

Return to Photography and Videography Forum