Slaving "Dedicated" flashes with Firefly 2

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Slaving "Dedicated" flashes with Firefly 2

Postby GatorCaver » Jun 3, 2008 10:18 pm

"IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!"

After spending $600 on a couple of very nice Canon (430 EX) dedicated flashes, I learned that Firefly 2 slaves would not trigger them. This was due to the 7 separate electrical contacts on the hot shoe. I had originally used them slaved to an ST-E2 infrared transmitter, but the range of this device was limited to about 30'. I did not want to have to buy two more flashes to replace these, so I found a solution: take an off-camera TTL shoe cord, cut the cable and splice into the black and white wires, leaving the others unconnected. Connect this to the two leads on the FIrefly 2 (doesn't matter which) and BAM! you now have a Firefly-slaved dedicated flash. Warning: the use of the two wires mentioned above are just my experience with Canon flashes- others brands may be entirely different. Hook a multi-tester to it before you try it. Also, keep in mind that most TTL cords cost in the neighborhood of $50-$60. It's a quite expensive "adapter", but if you really like your flashes, then it's a good substitute. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
"Until you find the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will never know the terror of being forever lost at sea..."
GatorCaver
Infrequent Poster

Name: Thomas Howard
NSS #: 52169
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Jackson county

Re: Slaving "Dedicated" flashes with Firefly 2

Postby NZcaver » Jun 3, 2008 10:54 pm

Your flash/firefly compatibility problem sounds familiar. Apparently the Vivitar 285 has similar problems, discussed at length in this previous topic. Thanks for sharing your solution.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Photography and Videography Forum