Point and Shoot opinions for caving

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Point and Shoot opinions for caving

Postby NZcaver » Jul 18, 2008 2:35 am

From my previous post about using the Canon A540 in caves:

NZcaver wrote:...dust in caves tends to interfere with the automatic leaf-style lens cover really quick - be warned!

Update - hoosiercaver1 contacted me recently and mentioned his camera has developed the same problem, where the lens cover sticks (does not open and/or close completely) when you turn the camera on and off. I had originally cleaned mine after what I assumed to be an in-cave dust issue. I used a combination of damp Q tips, and a lens puffer/brush combo. It helped, but would still stick periodically. Recently this problem has been getting more frequent, and making me mad. :rant:

So I did a little more research, and come to find out numerous people have experienced the same problem with several Canon models with a similar lens cover design. It's not just a caving-related problem! Apparently Canon steadfastly refuse to admit this is a "known issue" - but it's obviously more than just a passing coincidence. The fault seems to stem from the construction and tolerances of the thin plastic housing surrounding, which can obstruct the lens cover from sliding away into the housing properly.

I found a page relating to this here on the Digital Camera HQ review website. The second reply is from a guy who details a very intricate fix for the problem. The brief reply immediately following that is from somebody who did a much simpler fix by just prying up with a screwdriver around the opening to the lens cover. It worked for him, so I gently tried it myself with a jeweller's screwdriver - working my way around in a circle with the lens open, being careful not to touch the lens or pry too hard. This seems to have fixed the problem for me as well, at least for now.

Hope this info might help others out there. Of course any modifications you perform are at your own risk. :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Teresa » Jul 18, 2008 8:40 am

NZcaver wrote:From my previous post about using the Canon A540 in caves:

NZcaver wrote:...dust in caves tends to interfere with the automatic leaf-style lens cover really quick - be warned!

My brand new G9(only been in walk-through caves so far) has the same issue. The first time it did not close entirely, I merely used my fingers to gently open it all the way manually and let it pop shut on its own. It was obvious that the plastic simply did not slide correctly because of horizontal wobble, and I agree, it is a tolerances problem .

I still love my G9, btw. For sheer clarity of images, I still miss my drowned Ricoh 35mm SP, but for flexibility with wide angle and telephoto converters and the ability to actually control a digital camera, it cannot be beat for the price. I'm not thrilled with the circular polarizer, but that seems to be a polarizer/sensor digital problem not limited to the G9.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby hoosiercaver1 » Jul 18, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks NZ, I appreciate the the thought to share that info. Right now mine is stuck completely open all the time. I kinda did what one of the people on that link said. He took out the shutter and made a pouch to protect it while its not in use. I found my camera fits snugly inside my Tony Stewart soft can coozie, so I use that to protect it. Right now it is packed up and about ready to head down to Karstorama, so I will probably try to pry on it gently when I get home. Ill let you know how it works.
http://www.hoosiercaving.webs.com

We are Halfway There!!!

Slow caving is Safe Caving!!!
hoosiercaver1
Prolific Poster

Name: John Shultheis
NSS #: 59560
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby Marbry » Jul 23, 2008 2:50 pm

It looks like they have a digital version of the Quantaray also. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531661023.htm

$39 and runs off 2 AAA's, I don't imagine it will be the brightest in the world. Any experience with the sensitivity?
Marbry
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 27221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Marbry wrote:It looks like they have a digital version of the Quantaray also. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531661023.htm

$39 and runs off 2 AAA's, I don't imagine it will be the brightest in the world. Any experience with the sensitivity?

A caving friend of mine has one, and it seems to work fine for him. I have the old non-digital version, and this appears to be the same exact flash except for the slave trigger. It's not the brightest, but it works OK for a fill-in and it's better in caves than just snapping away with the built-in flash on a compact camera. The sensitivity is reasonable for line of sight over fairly short distances, but I wouldn't use it like I use a Firefly-type slave.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum