Under water, and Film (whats that?)

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Under water, and Film (whats that?)

Postby travii99 » Jan 9, 2008 1:11 pm

I have a few inquires for the general cave public, specifically those that do cave photography... I have been delved into digital for soo long now that I have forgotten which films work best for caving, if there are any. I plan on shooting a bit of film with my digital and I would probably shoot slide (although I have not been happy with my slide scanner by any means) but would prefer print film. Does anyone know or have tested the "best" film for cave photos? (for example, I know that I prefer Fuji Velvia for most outdoor slide shots from experience, anyone else have the same preferences for cave photos??)

Secondly, I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to obtain some decent underwater flashes for cave photos, preferrably slaved. I use bulbs a lot and they can be shot underwater, but they have been a source of much frustration for me lately (reliable bulb guns are hard to come by and not slaved). Does anyone have some old waterproof flashes they would like to sell for a decent price, or know of a resource for such things? I have found that they are quite expensive and my budget is very limited at the moment (just got a new camera)..

Any and all help would be much appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!!!

Travis Scott
http://www.oztotl.com/Travis
travii99
Infrequent Poster

Re: Under water, and Film (whats that?)

Postby Teresa » Jan 9, 2008 1:50 pm

Any of the Fuji films/slide films are better than Kodak for cave photography because they are balanced towards the blue, and make good tans/browns, instead of shifted red.

Also, when the big news came out about the death of processing for Kodachrome, Fuji said they intended to stay in the film manufacturing business for the foreseeable future. Obviously that could change, but its a little more reassuring than Kodak which has been decreasing film availabilities with their perception of the market.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stelios Zacharias » Jan 10, 2008 8:33 am

I do not want to get a kodak / fuji debate going (almost as useful as a betamax / VHS debate nowadays), but...
I like the red shift in Kodak as it gives more natural people tones when there are people in the picture. I am also a fan of warm colours more than cold colours. I am currently shooting on bog-standard Kodak Gold 200 ASA and I have no complaints. It is all personal preferances...

I too am interested in waterproof slaveable flashes. I have thought about hiding regular electronic flashguns in either a clear sided tupperware (or equivalent) tub which has been taped shut, or inside one of these wallet protectors / cellphone protectors which will go down a few feet and have clear plastic to them to allow the slave to see another flash. I have not tried it yet in the field, but I am interested to hear how your researches turn out.
Stelios Zacharias
Frequent Poster

Postby Teresa » Jan 10, 2008 8:52 am

There is no debate, Stelios, and you are correct about it being a personal preference. I care more about what the cave looks like than the people, who are only there for scale anyway. It has been very hard to retrain myself to take photos concentrating on people. Heaven knows I've shot enough Elitechrome in my day since it is still easier to find than Fuji slide film. :clap:
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby travii99 » Jan 10, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for the input!! I will decide on the film soon, availability will also play a role. Thanks for the reminder of the warm and blue tints, man it's been a while..

I will probably have to do the flash in the jar thing for now. The reason I am looking for waterproof flashes is for wet caves where EVERYTHING is wet and muddy. In order to turn on the flash between shoots, you have to open in and stick your grubby hands into the jar.. With waterproof flashes, pull it out, shoot, throw it back in the pack. I have had NO info returned to me about how to find cheaper flashes either. Guess I might just have to bit the bullet one day..

Thanks!
Travis
travii99
Infrequent Poster

Postby Lost » Jan 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Here are some sweet underwater lights. I don't think this is what you are looking for.http://salvodiving.com/home
You should look into flashes for scuba. I see them all the time.
Lost
Prolific Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum