Olympus 725 SW Issues

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Olympus 725 SW Issues

Postby LostCaver » Oct 3, 2007 1:33 pm

So a few months ago I purchased this waterproof camera specifically for caving... and I will say I'm rather pleased. Even though the camera has nearly 0 manual settings, with the right lighting and a tripod you can still get some quality photos. But I have noticed that the mechanical lens cover is starting to move rather sluggishly. Any possible way to clean the cave gunk out of there other than putting it in water and turning it off and on over and over again? I'm afraid something is going to get trapped and scratch the lens.
Speaking of the lens, any recommendations on lens cleaning while inside the cave?
LostCaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 3, 2007 4:44 pm

hmm if its waterproof then maybe "rinsing" will work. cave dust kills more cameras than water. in-cave lens cleaning..for lots of gunk pray you have a lens protector. for water drops and fine grit I carry a leopold lens pen designed for rifle scopes. is a little bigger than a AA battery and has a small soft brush on one end and a soft eraser type cleaner on the other. works great.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum