Which camera

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Which camera

Postby athensken » Dec 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Has anyone had time to check out the new PowerShot G10? Sounds like a good small digital camera. But I have read that on the higher ISO settings the noise gets bad. I'm like some of you. I don't want to take a full DSLR into a muddy cave. My pelcan box works out fine for the camera I am currently using but of course you have to take the camera out to use it.
thanks
Ken
athensken
New Poster

NSS #: 23320
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pine Mountain Grotto KY

Postby Teresa » Dec 20, 2008 3:27 pm

athensken wrote:Has anyone had time to check out the new PowerShot G10? Sounds like a good small digital camera. But I have read that on the higher ISO settings the noise gets bad. I'm like some of you. I don't want to take a full DSLR into a muddy cave. My pelcan box works out fine for the camera I am currently using but of course you have to take the camera out to use it.
thanks
Ken

I have the G9, and though I don't have the orange color shift reported above, ( I have a Quantaray electronic flash Canon knockoff, with off camera cord and mine does pretty well underground, actually) anything 800-1000 ISO is grainy, above or below. However, if you cast your mind back to film-- ISO 800-1000 is also grainy. It really doesn't matter if is is bits or film...not enough light is not enough light. The G9 does better at ISO 400 than most 400 speed film, and 800 is 'acceptable' for imaging, but will never win a photo contest. Try the camera on auto or program for low light-- I've gotten some pretty good moonlight only shots byusing a tripod and extending the exposure time, not increasing the ISO, though like most digicams, the G9 has pitiful long exposure options. I've had several electronics guys tell me consumer grade CCD just isn't set up to do extended exposures-- more time just generates more noise, not light gathering ability.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Dec 20, 2008 3:35 pm

Teresa wrote:I've had several electronics guys tell me consumer grade CCD just isn't set up to do extended exposures-- more time just generates more noise, not light gathering ability.

I'd definitely concur with that. I've had some less-than-pleasing results shooting long time exposures at night. The results are usually quite noisy/grainy. For cave work, several slave flashes usually do the trick (or at least 1 off-camera flash).
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby rchrds » Nov 8, 2009 6:54 pm

Just a quick note- we have 6 G10s that we use for flying around and taking pictures (non-cave in the extreme) we beat the crap out of them (most of the screens on the back are cracked) You have to finger open the little internal lens covers, but the camera takes good, quick day photos. I only have about a week left with them, but perhaps i will fiddle about with it and take some night pictures. Anyone have any specific questions about them that I might be able to play around and find out?

P.S> Im a caver, but not a photographer- I'm leaning towards a D90 for the wife... ha.

Jason
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 8, 2009 7:00 pm

rchrds wrote:You have to finger open the little internal lens covers

I had one Canon that the lens cover wouldn't always open completely. Another Canon, the lens cover wouldn't close completely. They clearly need some work on that part!

But I did just buy me a G11 AND the underwater housing! :big grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby rchrds » Nov 8, 2009 7:06 pm

Barb, how are the low light pics? I just took some of the flightline at night using the 15sec shutter time and ISO 1600, and was not too impressed- but the last time i tried to shoot night shots, it was with film. And, I suck at cameras. haha

J
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 8, 2009 8:03 pm

rchrds wrote:Barb, how are the low light pics? I just took some of the flightline at night using the 15sec shutter time and ISO 1600, and was not too impressed- but the last time i tried to shoot night shots, it was with film. And, I suck at cameras. haha

J

It's BarbARA. I haven't taken too many pictures yet. I thought the G7 I had (and drowned by a not-actually-waterproof case) did decent with low light. It has the adjustments for low light. It clobbered the heck out of the Olympus Stylus I bought during the interim.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum