New to Digital cameras

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Teresa » Jun 2, 2007 11:47 pm

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:

Did you check out the Canon S5 IS? it has a hotshoe but the dpreview full review isn't out yet. I think it satisfies all of your feature list. :kewl: I'd wait until they put up a full review and see what the noise levels are like though.

I pretty much rejected it as soon as I saw it. That design is way too righthanded for lefty me. I actually looked at a Rebel XT today (similar dimensions and styling and weight ) and knew immediately I wouldn't be able to hang onto the dang thing. Actually dropped it about an inch onto the display case. I mentioned this to the saleslady about one of the Nikons (which had a lot of the controls on the left hand side) and she said, 'well, that's not good, you'll keep bumping into them." Silly lady didn't understand I'd PREFER to have controls on the left. (This is why I cannot, and likely will not ever be able to have a camcorder. I'm don't just write lefthanded--I'm wired that way. I don't have much grip or fine motor control in my right hand.

I know a couple of people who get around the no hotshoe by just using a slave mounted on top or beside the camera, it causes no real hassle but not as good a solution.

Well, I'm used to having a corded off camera flash for closeups on my 35s.
For cave situations, you can pour a lot of light on most things, and the dark will take it. But, for example, I was shooting a spiderweb with my p&s-- my husband got much better results with a corded TTL flash on the camera he was using.

I still appreciate your efforts. Thanks.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jun 3, 2007 11:05 pm

Teresa wrote:I still appreciate your efforts. Thanks.
No problem, finding a left handed compatible camera must be pretty difficult. Good luck with it, I never thought about left handers and cameras (even though my brother and sister are both lefties...)

Some of the DSLR Pentax cameras put the 'mode' dial on the left and I think the focus and zoom are on the lense so these would be worked with the left hand too. Menus etc will still be on the right :sad:

Most are only 6MP though.... There is a 10MP the K10D.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby Realms » Jun 4, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm a lefty :-)
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amocholes » Jul 1, 2007 5:34 am

I just got a Fuji Finepix F20 and a Pelican 1010. The camera fits it quite nicely and stayed dry even though I went through water up to my neck. The camera did pretty well but you have to be carefull with the AutoFocus or it's fuzzy. Not bad for an inexpensive camera. Note: the pictures were resized or they would have been huge.

When facts are few and far between, hypothesis defies all logic, as to how an individual came to the conclusion, that the point that they are trying to make, is indeed true and not just the fabrications of a deluded mind.
Amocholes
Prolific Poster

Name: Don
NSS #: 49385
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Stonewall Cavers

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Jul 2, 2007 9:34 am

Looking good. :kewl:
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum