New to Digital cameras

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

New to Digital cameras

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2007 10:57 am

I have purchased a cannon A630 and only have used film cameras! I would like to know if there are any settings that should be used in caves that would help me get started? I love cave pics and have never been able to get good ones myself.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 6, 2007 11:08 am

let me know how you like that camera, as i am planning to buy it soon.

As far as settings, are you wanting to just take cave pics for fun in the cave? or the really good cave pics where you have to use multiple flashes etc? Just for the fun pics I use the auto setting and the cameras flash, but for the really good pics I use the manual setting, have the flash on the camera off, and use multiple external flashes.

If you don't know much bout using manual setting on your camera, you may either want to find a photo 'mnetor' that will teach you in person, or even take a digital photography course. My local community college teaches them in their continuing education section. So you may want to look into that.

Also there is an underwater housing available for that camera. I know they have it at bhphotovideo.com. I use an underwater housing for my digital camera when caving to protect it from dirt and mud. Just make sure you clean the housing well between caving and if you do use it underwater.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jan 6, 2007 12:09 pm

Brian, I've helped out on numerous of cave photography trips, both film and digital and have taken a number of both myself (see my website ... the sig).
Lets go out and play sometime with your new toy and we'll see what we can come up with.
One of the benefits of a digital is that it's not a waste of film if you got a bad shot and if your camera screen is large enough you can see if you got the shot you wanted or not. If not... delete and do it again.
Technology is wonderful. :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2007 1:18 pm

Wendy! Thanks for the info. I really want to take the good pics and plan on getting external flashes, but just to get started I will do as you say start with automatic and play with it. Mentor would be great if i can find one, Classes are hard for me as when I have time I would rather be caving. As for the underwater housing that is on the list of must haves as well. Again thanks, and any manual vs auto settings info would be great!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2007 1:39 pm

Hey Ralph! Thank you too! We will Do some Shooting. as I said I have no exp with dig and very little with cameras period. We get into some beautifull places that iI think it is a waste not to be able to enjoy for years after!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 6, 2007 3:28 pm

add a tripod to your shopping list too.

I got my vivitar 285 flashes on ebay for $50 each and use a firefly slave that i got form the guy that has the ad of the NSS News

learn to use the setting that lets you keep the shutter open for a few seconds, it would be a manual setting. That way you can have everything set up, open the shutter, set off the flashes, and then the shutter closes
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jan 6, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah, hanging out with other cave photographers is definitely a great way to learn.

Have you read through the old photography threads on the forum? There's also a good interactive cave photography how-to CD called "On Three" by John Woods. You can buy a copy from Peter Jones http://www.pjcaver.com/sidfirefly.htm - the CD is not listed on his website, but he was supplying them at the last convention so I assume he still does. I think it's about $20, and the profits go to one of those caving charities.

Have fun! :camera:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby BrianC » Jan 6, 2007 4:38 pm

Thank you Wendy, Ralph, and NZ. I do have a tripod that will be used but will need to also get lights. Next week I hope to do a photo trip (did you hear that Ralph) Did Jerry#2 get to use his new camera yet Ralph? Mabey we could get him Rodney and Dane also I know they would like to learn more about photography! Sounds like a photo trip!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SpelunkerBoB » Jan 7, 2007 11:32 am

Brian-I have some newcamera toys to play with too. If you're going to be at the Gotto mtg. tomorrow night we can talk about setting up a photo trip for anyone who's interested. I don't know much, but I can at least get you started.
SpelunkerBoB
Occasional Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 7, 2007 12:06 pm

You might find this book helpful. Chapters were written by well-respected cave photographers, and digital photography is covered.
On Caves and Cameras :camera:
A Comprehensive Guide to Underground Photography
Edited by Norman R. Thompson and
John Van Swearingen IV

http://www.caves.org/service/bookstore/ ... tions.html

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby BrianC » Jan 7, 2007 1:20 pm

Bob I will be there tomorrow and think that we could get a trip for all the photo people! That would be wonderfull!
Cheryl, Thanks for the info i'll look into that book!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Photo trip

Postby Vertigo » Jan 7, 2007 10:22 pm

:kewl: I plan to be on this trip if I can, I'll bring the video camera! Does anyone have any large, million candlepower spotlights or other bright lights like HID? I'd be willing to carry some of those, I need more light for video. With my 3W LED I get limited distance and a small spot of light. :caver:
Vertigo
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dane » Jan 8, 2007 2:36 am

Photo Trip sounds great!
Also, in reference to the great suggestions made, Wm and Carolina left many of their books to the grotto library. I would be surprised if there wasn't one or two on cave photography.
Something else to check into tonight perhaps.
Hope to see you all there.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby BrianC » Jan 9, 2007 10:32 am

My camera just arrived! Photo trip is in the making! Hold your breath friends as to not blurr the image! keep holding, keep holding, keep holding while i learn how to operate this. Keep holding...
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jan 9, 2007 3:58 pm

BrianC wrote:My camera just arrived! Photo trip is in the making! Hold your breath friends as to not blurr the image! keep holding, keep holding, keep holding while i learn how to operate this. Keep holding...
Brian, why do you think that Jerry kept asking people if they had a tripod?
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum