Another salamander pic

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Another salamander pic

Postby batrotter » Sep 25, 2006 6:17 am

We were in an Indiana cave over the weekend and took a photo of a salamander. I didn't think too much about it till I got home and looked at the photo. It seems the poor guy has a most of his tail missing. All that's left is a bloody stump. At least the salamander was fortunate enough to miss being a last supper for some hungry animal. Not the best pic, but you get the idea.

batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 25, 2006 11:15 pm

this little guy looks like he had a tail break off on him... poor thing... at least it'll grow back... :grin:
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

what is it?

Postby tropicalbats » Sep 26, 2006 1:04 am

This is an interesting picture. First, that tail dislocation looks really, really fresh. Very few animals in a cave will take a bite at a salamander, as in general it is near the top of the food chain. However, misplaced hands and feet by cavers can do much damage. Nope, not accusing anyone of anything, just an intro to a comment.

It seems to me that the picture is of the Green Salamander (Aneides aeneus). It is only known from a very few sites in Indiana, and is state listed as critically endangered. It has been up for federal endangered status before, and probably will gain that status with the next push.

While I can't be perfectly sure of the species from the picture, it would appear likely that something heavily impacted a salamander species in dire straights. Maybe a local cave crayfish snipped off the tail. Who knows. But let's all give another thought about where we place our boots and hands when in caves. Caves aren't just mud, rock and water. There are important things living in them.

Best,

Keith
tropicalbats
Prolific Poster

Postby batrotter » Sep 26, 2006 4:12 am

I'd first like to assure tropicalbats that no salamanders, including the one in the pic were harmed during the taking of the photo. The salamander was up in a side passage about 2 feet off the floor of the cave. The side passage was only about 1.5' wide. I had to cram myself up in the passage on my side to take the photo. The salamander was visible from the main passage. Once again, no one in my caving party, (only three of us), had anything to do with harming the salamander.

As far as the species, I don't know. Another Indiana caver suggested it my be a long tail salamander.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Return to Photography and Videography Forum