Waterproof/Dustproof DSLR

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Waterproof/Dustproof DSLR

Postby Steven Johnson » Sep 13, 2006 7:52 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/13/pent ... tant-dslr/

I am strictly a point-n-shoot kinda guy, so I have no clue how nice this is for the real photographers... but seeing a waterproof / dustproof (or at least "resistant") DSLR sounds like a nice thing :-)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby Realms » Sep 13, 2006 8:40 pm

mmmm nice. and it takes all my lenses :-) not a bad price at all.
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Sep 13, 2006 10:36 pm

Well I know what I want for christmas! :kewl:
I know folks that would still be mighty hesitant to bring something like that into a cave, regardless of it's water/dust/shake proof qualities. Me, I figure what's the point of buying one of those if you're gonna treat it like a bottle of nitro?
Sure the price-tag is reason enough, but isn't that what's insurance is for, don't they make great pelican cases for that kind of rough and tuff moving around?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby rcoomer » Sep 14, 2006 11:31 am

I'm not interested in switching camera systems at the moment, but maybe this will spur Canon into adding a little better weather resistance in their mid level cameras. . .
--
Rob Coomer
Fine Art Cave and Nature Photography
http://www.robertcoomer.com
rcoomer
Occasional Poster

water resistant DSLR

Postby Dave Bunnell » Sep 17, 2006 10:23 pm

Wow, this thing looks great, and at a price comparable to regular DSLRs. I'll consider this over just updgrading my Nikon 6mp DSLR to the newer 10 mp bodies.

I suspect though, Nathan, that one will realize the full water resistance only with the kit lens or others similarly designed ones with o-rings. I just hope the Pentax 18-55 is more suitable for caving that the one Nikon offers. That one is virtually useless because of its non-linear focusing (i.e. you don't just turn it all the way one way to infinity, you have to back it off in the opposite direction).

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Postby Realms » Sep 17, 2006 10:27 pm

Time to save up my allowance :-)
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Darklight » Sep 18, 2006 7:21 am

Could be a bad move to buy a dSLR based upon a feature such as weatherproofing. As stated above, Pelican cases are a far better idea. Weatherproofing does not effect overall picture quality (which is, after all, the bottom line). How is the sensor noise at low ISO? Does it have a bulb feature? What about getting dust off the chip? Anyone who has veer changed lenses in a dusty cave knows what I'm talking about. Speaking of lenses, are they any good? For years I used a low end Olympus SLR with few bells and whistles. It certainly wasn't proofed of anything. Lasted fine because I took care of it. Generally speaking, spray and dirt never was much of a problem. When I bought my replacement, I was mainly concerned with noise, good lenses, and the ability to electronically clean the sensor. As it turned out, I got about the cheapest body I could find and put my cash into the lenses.
C.G. Anderson
http://www.darklightimagery.net
http://www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WCCSG/

"I've done things God should have questioned, but I don't care".
Darklight
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » Sep 18, 2006 7:30 am

Darklight wrote:Could be a bad move to buy a dSLR based upon a feature such as weatherproofing.

On the other hand, Pentax has the weatherproofing thing down for light semi-pro use. Until this digital thing came up, the Pentax VR-90WR was very popular amongst cavers who wanted better pictures than disposables or cheap cameras, but weren't on the 'full photo kit with sherpas' track. I still use mine, and will until good digital becomes affordable. ( <$300)
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Sep 18, 2006 8:03 am

I agree with Chris. I'm not buying one because of the weatherproofing. I carry all my gear in pelicases already. There are not many 10.2MP options out there for that price. That is pretty much whats driving me on it it. Yes it does have a bulb setting. Noise is not a big issue if it is anything like it predecessor SLR family. And I can use my collection of lenses on it. The weather proofing is a cool concept but again it would not be my reason for purchasing this camera. When I bought my first DSLR (Pentax istD) I was on the verge of getting the Nikon D70. I studied up on the Nikon and found the ISO only went as low as ASA 200 (which is the same on my current Pentax). So I had to weigh in the fact of starting over or using what I had as far as lenses were concerned. That was the deciding factor. Now I'm seeing that the ISO on the new K10D will go down to ASA 100. This is another reason for me to want this camera. I know there are cameras out there a dime a doz with super low ISO ranges but I'm looking for products I can use with the equipment I already own.
It is always good to look at the whole picture before investing in something. Many things out there on the market will try to grab the consumer with a revolutionary new break through. In this case I believe Pentax really hit the mark. A great camera for a great price. Perhaps if someone beats me to getting one they could do a review on it :-)

Nathan
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Sep 18, 2006 9:21 am

With that large of digital camera, I'd be interested to know how long the batteries would last. I had a large Kodak digital and it just ate batteries.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Realms » Sep 18, 2006 10:26 am

Not sure Wayne. The one I use now will shoot on average 700 pics before the batteries are gone. Due to that I run rechargables in it with some Lithiums for backups. I don't think that will be an option in this new camera. But it does come with a charger and I'd be up for buying some spare batteries.
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dave Bunnell » Sep 18, 2006 11:24 am

Wayne Harrison wrote:With that large of digital camera, I'd be interested to know how long the batteries would last. I had a large Kodak digital and it just ate batteries.

The size of the camera doesn't have much to do with it, other than that a larger camera like a DSLR allows for a larger battery as well. Also, on the DSLRs you're not turning on the LCD screen other than to examine your shot. Additionally, if you are using a manual rather than an electronic lens, you save a lot on battery life by not driving gears to move it.

So, longer battery life is generally an added benfit in a DSLR.

Dave
NSS News Editor
Dave Bunnell
Prolific Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Sep 18, 2006 7:50 pm

Another review and possibly some more information if it helps:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby driggs » Sep 18, 2006 9:12 pm

Hey, this camera supports saving to Adobe's "universal" raw format, DNG, as discussed on CaveChat here.

:camera:
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Postby Realms » Sep 18, 2006 9:23 pm

Yeah I was just reading that. That will be easier than using another program to convert the current PEF format. Its nice to see they offer either option. Also the camera saves in both RAW and JPG formats which can be handy. The DDR2 is also a plus. I tell ya for the price it seems to be a really nice camera. It has a lot of good competition out there but I think it will hold its own. Now if I only had one in the pelicase for the weekend :-)
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum