Independence Day Caving Photos

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Independence Day Caving Photos

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 6, 2006 4:53 pm

These are photos taken by an enthuisast Michael Mimbach, that wanted to learn more about SRT and caving in general. With us are two of my "older" students and a newer student and his wife and family.
T'was a fun day for all. We did a popular practice pit and then had enough time to run over to a real cave.
Enjoy... http://photos.mimbach.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=Caving
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby speloman » Jul 7, 2006 12:03 am

Great Pictures looks like you all had fun.
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 17, 2006 7:39 pm

Click on the link again and there are more photos of recent trips... My most recent was Blowhole http://photos.mimbach.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=Caving

I will be creating my own page via this guy and be adding my own photo collection... coming soon to a webpage near you. :kewl:

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nordicjw » Jul 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Ralph, great set of pictures from Blowhole Cave. The veins of color look like what some might call modern art, whatever that is? Questions, I noticed the dark red on your rope, is the rock that soft ? Do you know what the black beetle with the vivid bands if called? The steel work at he end of the series looks very new, it's purpose? I'll have to get out that way sometime, I cave in the East, must be nice to come out of a cave relatively clean and DRRRYYY. :woohoo:
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby Scott McCrea » Jul 18, 2006 3:36 pm

Yeah, cool cave! Interesting rigging too. :shock: First, the logs across the entrance backed up with a stake. Then the stakes in the wall. You seriously rig to that? I've rigged some sketchy stuff, but that looks sketchy. :tonguecheek: Then there's the girl the helmet full of misguided lights. :rofl: Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. :banana:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 18, 2006 4:35 pm

Yeah - great photos! :woohoo:

It's funny - When I looked through the album yesterday, what really stood out to me were the same exact points that Scott just mentioned. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jul 18, 2006 4:56 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Yeah, cool cave! Interesting rigging too. :shock: First, the logs across the entrance backed up with a stake. Then the stakes in the wall. You seriously rig to that? I've rigged some sketchy stuff, but that looks sketchy. :tonguecheek: Then there's the girl the helmet full of misguided lights. :rofl: Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. :banana:

Unfortunately yes we had to rig that. Previously (before the gate was placed in) we rigged to a vehicle's frame that is backed up to within 10 feet of the entrance. Then the new management plan (post-gate) said that no vehicles were allowed within 300 feet of the cave entrance. A steel rod was drilled in the position shown and the (split) logs were left as they've always been there.
I personally could've placed a much better rod with either a hook at the top to prevent the knot from slipping off or at least a curled eye for a biner to clip into. We used a clove hitch on the logs and an additonal wrap. When James came out sure enough the rope had gone off the rod.
I plan to talk to the guy who oversees the management about changing the plan to allow a 4X4 back where we normally parked so there's a more substantial rig point. As you can plainly see there are no trees or even a stout bush to rig to.

The stakes in the wall were more for re-direct than actual stout rigging. The rope is also main-lined tied to a hanger anchored to the rock floor across from those "stakes" which are actually iron rods that we've rebelayed to for years. The "stakes" extend some four feet into the rocks and the cave at that section is dry enough that the "rot" has been very slow. It looks sketchy but it's stout.

Danni's cockeyed helmet lights are cute I agree. She's become a great caver. Her caver bf is a lucky guy to be sure.

nordicjw wrote:Ralph, great set of pictures from Blowhole Cave. The veins of color look like what some might call modern art, whatever that is? Questions, I noticed the dark red on your rope, is the rock that soft ? Do you know what the black beetle with the vivid bands if called? The steel work at he end of the series looks very new, it's purpose? I'll have to get out that way sometime, I cave in the East, must be nice to come out of a cave relatively clean and DRRRYYY. :woohoo:

The Navajo blanket formation (multicolored swirls) can probably be best explained at http://www.caves.org/grotto/timpgrotto/ and in the left frame scroll down to Blowhole Geology in the Research section of the website.
As far as "Ringo" goes (the beetle) I can't say for sure exactly what type he is. He has the same general body as the average all black cave beetles that are found in our area. Just as slow moving and a scavenger that feeds off the dead rabbits and mice and whatever else falls into the cave along with the atypical cave crickets. The beetles do work their way outside. Though I can't see how since I watch them and they tend to fall back to where they started and try again.
The dark red that has rubbed off on the rope is throughout the cave and it's either dry or clayey in substance/consistentcy. It washes off nicely from ropes and clothing.
Deeper down the cave maintains it's moisture content so it's not as "DRY" as one thinks. Up near the entrance the humidity does escape enough to make the cave dry.
There is a map of the cave on the Timp Grotto website (above link) as well. All told it's -340 feet including miner's pit. There is no other cave in the state like it.

Contacting anyone from the Utah Grottos will get you in touch with an eager guide who'll be happy to show you (and anyone else) around.

Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Nico » Jul 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Then there's the girl the helmet full of misguided lights. ROFL Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Dancing banana

She's cute though
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum