Stephens Gap time lapse

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Stephens Gap time lapse

Postby Realms » Jun 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Last Thursday I spent the day at Stephens Gap. Those who have visited the place can attest to the coolness of the sunbeams that shine down from the top of the pit. For several years I have wanted to do a time lapse of the sun rays. Thursday I headed out to do just that. I got set up around 7:30 am and watched as the light crept ever so slowly down the wall of the pit until ran into the undercut and burst across the room. Such an awesome site and I never tire of seeing it. I shot a 450 frame sequence at 45 second intervals. I didn't plan on posting this but I figure anyone who has ever visited the place should see this. Just giving a heads up on that. The file size is almost 3mb. If you like, right click and do a save as. It might be easier. This is the first of many ;-)

Enjoy!
Nathan

http://www.realmsofreality.net/extras/stephensgap/index.html
Last edited by Realms on Jun 30, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jun 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Very impressive! Thanks for posting!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jun 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Very nice, Nathan! Thanks for sharing.
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby Realms » Jun 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Glad you like it :-) I'm currently working on a lot of this stuff for a much larger project for 2007.
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 26, 2006 10:01 pm

Wow! That is great!!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby DeWayne » Jun 27, 2006 11:31 am

Very cool, thanks for sharing that.
Gobwats
DeWayne
Frequent Poster

Name: DeWayne Hyatt PhD
NSS #: NSS# 53694
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CDS GCG

Postby cob » Jun 27, 2006 8:26 pm

i like.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Todd » Jun 28, 2006 10:56 am

That's awsome! What kind of camera were you using? I was wondering if it had it's own intervalometer, or if you were triggering it manually the whole time. If manually, you've got a lot of patience!
Todd
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 48351

Postby Realms » Jun 28, 2006 7:25 pm

Hi Todd
I was using a Pentax istD DSLR mounted on a tripod. For the first test last year I had my friend keep track of time and I shot a pic every minute for an hour. Later in the year I built a programmable timer module that I simply plug into the camera. That's what I was using on this trip. I needed only to monitor the equipment from time to time to make aperture adjustments and check battery levels. The time lapse would have lasted about 3 more seconds but a group of local boys wandered into the shot so I had to cut things a pinch short. I did luck out however as clouds passed over making the last few frames dark giving the impression of the end of the day. I had to pic a day in the middle of the week when I figured no one would show up and for the most part I was successful in that. I'm sure you will see many more time lapse clips of this place if not from me then from some other caver. It really is a beautiful place. The first time I saw Stephens Gap it was lit much the same as it is in that clip. I'm returning soon to shoot it with a large format camera so I can have a wall mural printed up. :-)

Nathan
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Jun 29, 2006 8:00 am

Thats just beautiful... i had it looping last night on my pc while listening to some music.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby bigalpha » Jun 29, 2006 12:43 pm

cool time lapse. did you ever finish that contraption to pull your camera to the top of that dome?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Realms » Jun 29, 2006 12:57 pm

I'm still developing that one. The main factor at this point is the funds. It will happen though and I will be sure to posts the results on the forum :-)
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Stephens Gap time lapse

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 29, 2006 4:28 pm

Realms wrote:Last Thursday I spent the day at Stephens Gap. Those who have visited the place can attest to the coolness of the sunbeams that shine down from the top of the pit. For several years I have wanted to do a time lapse of the sun rays. Thursday I headed out to do just that. I got set up around 7:30 am and watched as the light crept ever so slowly down the wall of the pit until ran into the undercut and burst across the room. Such an awesome site and I never tire of seeing it. I shot a 450 frame sequence at 45 second intervals. I didn't plan on posting this but I figure anyone who has ever visited the place should see this. Note it is in windows media format. Just giving a heads up on that. The file size is just over 6 mb. If you like, right click and do a save as. It might be easier. This is the first of many ;-)

Enjoy!
Nathan

http://www.realmsofreality.net/extras/Stephens%20Gap.wmv

Maybe it's me but the link isn't working for me... all I get is redirected to a blank screen on my browser (Firefox)... from the replies I'd love to see it.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Realms » Jun 29, 2006 6:03 pm

Hi Ralph
You should be able to right click the link and select "save as" Fire fox does not seem to do well with windows media. I apologize to everyone for using using a format that is not more friendly to multiple browsers. I hope to do better with this in the future. Two other formats I use are Bink video wich is exceptional and runs circles around dvix and I also use several versions of Mpeg. I try to get some quicktime versions posted to the site real soon.

Thanks guys for the nice words. It really keeps me going. There is soooo much I want to do.

Nathan
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Steven Johnson » Jun 29, 2006 8:57 pm

Realms wrote:I apologize to everyone for using using a format that is not more friendly to multiple browsers.

I can convert it to Flash video (FLV) if you like; that runs in any browser with Flash and is pretty dang universal (it's what Google video and YouTube use).

Or you could just post it on YouTube directly :-)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum