Hidden Earth 2017 Opening Video

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Caver Keith » Oct 3, 2017 2:54 am

Hidden Earth is the name for the British Cave Research Association’s (BCRA’s) annual caving conference. It is traditional to open the weekend conference by showing a video and for this year's conference I was asked to produce the video. By way of explanation for the first part of the video, I am a member of Dudley Caving Club known to most cavers as 'The Dudley'.

Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Name: Keith Edwards
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dudley Caving Club

Re: Hidden Earth 2017 Opening Video

Postby batrotter » Oct 3, 2017 5:56 am

Nice video!
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Steve_S » Oct 3, 2017 4:45 pm

This is such a great video!!! And the soundtrack is hilarious and very well done!!!!
Steve_S
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 61110
Primary Grotto Affiliation: central connecticut grotto

Postby Caver Keith » Oct 4, 2017 2:14 am

batrotter wrote:Nice video!

Steve_S wrote:This is such a great video!!! And the soundtrack is hilarious and very well done!!!!

Thanks both. It's fine producing silly caving videos for YouTube whilst hiding behind a computer screen but to witness the Hidden Earth audience watching my work live and then having to face them immediately afterwards was a very daunting prospect, and the standard had always been so very high! No pressure then.
I wanted to do something a little different to anything that had gone before. I also liked the idea of showing the camaraderie amongst the great bunch of people I go caving with and how much fun we have together, but what to do?
The idea came to me a few weeks after being asked to make the video in a flash of inspiration. The filming would be easy but I needed to re-write the lyrics to two songs and then find someone to record them for me. For nearly a year it seemed that the idea would never come to fruition, but then a fellow caver Nigel Atkins came to my rescue and did a fantastic job with the songs.
Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Postby Steve_S » Oct 4, 2017 3:49 pm

Well I'm sure the Hidden Earth audience will love it! How could they not???? To me caving is all about have a fun adventure with friends, and this video sums it up perfectly!
Steve_S
Frequent Poster

Postby Caver Keith » Oct 5, 2017 7:07 am

Steve_S wrote:Well I'm sure the Hidden Earth audience will love it! How could they not???? To me caving is all about have a fun adventure with friends, and this video sums it up perfectly!

Thanks for this great comment. The conference was last weekend and it did seem to go down well with the audience, and with the judges - it won the video salon.
Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Postby Steve_S » Oct 5, 2017 7:07 pm

Wow congratulations!!!!!!!! Thats awesome!!!!!!
Steve_S
Frequent Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Really enjoyed the humor and the pictures were fantastic! You really have the talent for making it go over to the audience. :rofl: :clap:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caver Keith » Oct 22, 2017 10:18 am

Ernie Coffman wrote:Really enjoyed the humor and the pictures were fantastic! You really have the talent for making it go over to the audience. :rofl: :clap:

Thanks for your feedback, Ernie. The Hidden Earth organisers must have liked it too as I've now been asked to produce the opening video for Hidden Earth 2018. I need another flash of inspiration!
Oh, and it also seems to have opened up a new career for me as an after dinner speaker. :big grin:

:cavingrocks:
Caver Keith
Frequent Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum