What's a good durable digital camera?

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Olumpus 720SW

Postby Peter Rattigan » Aug 15, 2006 7:59 pm

As a newbie to caving but a keen photographer I would like to now take my hobby underground. I am reluctant to take my Pentax z10 as I would hate to see it self destruct. So I went on a shopping spree and bought an Olympus720SW. Seems an amazing little camera but I am yet to use it caving. The test comes this weekend.
I was wondering if anyone who has used one could provide me with some advice as to the best settings to use or should I just put it on auto and hope for the best. I have not had any experience with cave photography so any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Peter :caver:
Peter Rattigan
Infrequent Poster

Re: Olumpus 720SW

Postby NZcaver » Aug 15, 2006 8:55 pm

Peter Rattigan wrote:As a newbie to caving but a keen photographer I would like to now take my hobby underground...

Two words - slave flash(es) :camera:

I know others who use the Olympus 720 for cave photography, and they seem to be happy with it. Some quick advice - I suggest either getting a slave that can be set to ignore your camera's pre-flash, or (even better) turn the camera flash off and use a handheld one to light your shots (and trigger your slaves if you're using any).

Other than that, take lots of pictures and have fun experimenting! :grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Peter Rattigan » Aug 15, 2006 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. Well I dont have any slave flashes (yet) so for this weekend I'll experiment with the nighttimne settings and see how it pans out.

Thanks again.

Peter
Peter Rattigan
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Photography and Videography Forum