3D Models

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

3D Models

Postby caver.adam » May 2, 2015 12:25 pm

I've been working for a while on building 3D models, and now that I've scaled back I think the results are turning out pretty nice. I'm starting on the surface because it is so much easier to get equipment on location.

Made this model of a fire hydrant locally. I think it shows the potential for capturing formation is 3D models.

https://skfb.ly/EozZ

I had originally started with LIDAR, but the processing for that is daunting. Then I moved to the Kinect which was a lot of fun, but my Xbox kinect isn't very portable for cave usage. Now I'm trying to build much smaller models of single formations and single rooms. I'm getting a lot more success with this.

I used an iPhone with 123d Catch to capture this model. The issue is that this requires good lighting and even lighting that doesn't change. I'm working on another set of equipment that should resolve that issue and capture models that are even better than this though.

Let me know what you think of the model as a starting point.

Adam
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Re: 3D Models

Postby caver.adam » May 5, 2015 6:57 am

Got a photogrammetric model of a cave entrance last night. Not perfect yet, but pretty promising technology.

https://skfb.ly/EpVr
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marlatt » May 5, 2015 10:39 am

Very nice! The possible range of application staggers the imagination - can you integrate this with, say, a Disto-X, to associate survey data with the visualization?

Stuart
Psalms 95.4 / Proverbs 25.2
Marlatt
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 19583
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado

Postby caver.adam » May 5, 2015 2:46 pm

A good question. This technique works with any camera (including smartphone cameras).

My initial thought would be to have markers for the DistoX (two or three in the scene) and then you can tell the software to move the mesh until the markers line up with the correct GIS locations.You would have a picture of the markers in the 3D model and you'd have their locations. That shouldn't be too hard.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » May 5, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm going to try upgrading to Pro software this week. Then I'll work on getting the lights I need.
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby flightfollowing » Jun 8, 2015 6:14 am

Nice entrance.
To get good cave results, I think you will need to upgrade to a quality camera with fisheye lens and great illumination. Using a non fisheye camera will work for small objects in the cave like an entrance or a speleothem, but not for passage.
See posting: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16739
flightfollowing
Infrequent Poster

Name: Cliff Gill
NSS #: 66346
Primary Grotto Affiliation: kcag

Return to Photography and Videography Forum