Canon G1 X Colored Reflections

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Canon G1 X Colored Reflections

Postby driggs » Feb 14, 2015 10:31 am

I recently purchased a Canon G1 X to serve as my new cave camera, specifically for its near APS-C sized sensor crammed into a compact mirrorless size. While I'm not new to shooting in manual mode, this is my first Canon camera, and its settings and operations are still a bit alien to me.

I've been shooting at ISO 200, using off-camera electronic strobes with 1/125sec exposure, generally in the range of f4.0 - f6.0, without a tripod.

I'm finding a disappointing number of "colored pixels" in my photos, always green, magenta, or cyan. These are not dead sensor pixels, and they are not low-light noise. Rather, they seem to appear when light reflects back into the camera from water droplets or - curiously - as a cyan or magenta form of "red eye". I can capture the color white perfectly, but reflections seem to always be composed of these colors.

The photo below is an extreme example, a close-up shot of some wet marble, which illustrates the color of reflected light. This photo has been white-balanced to 5000K to (nearly) match my electronic flash. It's a Canon raw file, loaded in Apple's Aperture for processing. The loupe is enlarging the photo to 2x so you can more clearly see that the reflected light is composed of green, magenta, cyan. Click the photo for full-sized image.

Can anyone tell me why my G1 X is producing these colored reflections? Or, more importantly, can anyone tell me how to fix it?
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela

Re: Canon G1 X Colored Reflections

Postby Extremeophile » Feb 14, 2015 11:03 am

No idea, but Peter Bosted uses the G1X. You might try contacting him.
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby johncwoods » Feb 14, 2015 1:39 pm

It is called color aliasing. Use a search engine and you'll find the causes and many ways to correct it.
johncwoods
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 10503
Primary Grotto Affiliation: So Cal Grotto

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 15, 2015 10:16 am

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Return to Photography and Videography Forum