Deep Cave and Punkin Pit

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Deep Cave and Punkin Pit

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 27, 2006 8:06 am

The April 2006 NSS News has several articles on Texas Caves. They brought back many memories of caving there back in the early 70s while stationed at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio. We made a visit to the ranch where Deep and Punkin are located and I've added a couple of pictures from 1973. The one of Punkin has Larry Matthews, a west Texas caver (Carta Valley) at the top.

The News article mentioned two Great Horned Owls lived in the pit. When this pic was taken a single owl lived on the bottom of the pit. In the evening when the bat flight would start the owl would lazily fly up into the bats, grab one in its beak and then return to its nest to dine. One very smart and lazy owl.

The other two pictures were taken in Deep Cave nearby and show an excellent example of bacon and beautiful helictites much like those in Caverns of Sonora and Midnight Cave nearby..
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Realms » Apr 27, 2006 10:25 pm

Very cool Phil
never stop imagining what could someday come to pass...
Realms
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Kel » Jul 6, 2006 1:45 pm

We were in Deep 3 weeks ago. The land the caves are on is now owned and managed by the TCMA. (Tx. Cave Management Assc.) Got some quick pics. nothing as cool as yours.
Kel Thomas
NSS 57559
Permian Basin Speleological Society
Kel
Infrequent Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 6, 2006 2:31 pm

Way back when we could drive further into the ranch to a stock tank for swimming with the frogs. I have no idea how they got there in the first. Is that tank still there for use by cavers? It was a mile or more away as I recall.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Kel » Jul 8, 2006 11:46 am

I really can't say for sure if the tank is on the property now. TCMA only purchased approx. 200 acres. I didn't see a mention of a swimming hole on the map. Sure would have been nice, though.
Kel Thomas
NSS 57559
Permian Basin Speleological Society
Kel
Infrequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Jul 8, 2006 11:34 pm

Very neat!! The surface looks like an area you don't want to stumble around in the dark without knowing where you are. Ouch!!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Return to Photography and Videography Forum