flashgun modifications

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

flashgun modifications

Postby gindling » Jan 18, 2013 1:15 pm

I remember in the book Images Below about cave photography there was a section about weatherproofing flashguns. After taking off the cover of the gun they sprayed something onto the circuitboard being careful NOT to spray a certain component. If anyone has this book or has done this before can tell me what the spray was (silicone?) and what component NOT to spray was. I no longer have my copy. Thanks.

Also, has anyone ever tried tooldipping a flashgun, not the controls on the back or the lens of course, but the body? For dust, moisture, and general cave trauma protection? These are Sunpack 333 and Vivitar 3700 flashguns.
gindling
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 53629
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Rocky Mountain Grotto

Re: flashgun modifications

Postby LukeM » Jan 18, 2013 4:07 pm

I'd imagine they were referring to something like silicone conformal coating which is a common thing to use for protecting electrical components. I have no idea which component they would have had you not coat.

I also can't help with the tooldipping question but I'd be very interested to hear about it if you do some experimenting.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Re: flashgun modifications

Postby NZcaver » Jan 23, 2013 5:22 am

I've never tried this with any of my flashguns, but in the past I've had reasonable success waterproofing the boards of FRS radios with Scotchgard spray. See this old topic.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Photography and Videography Forum