Slave Triggers/receivers

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Slave Triggers/receivers

Postby gulley.jason » Oct 10, 2012 2:36 am

After a long search for slave triggers/receivers that work with all of my flashes and perform well in cold environments, I believe I've found a winner. I don't post much - but I figure I'd try to save other cave photographers out there the hassle of having to buy a bunch of poorly performing equipment in their quest to get good photos.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... Slave.html

I've been using these for the last two weeks shooting glacier caves in Svalbard. I can use them in broad daylight. I can set flashes off around corners. There are no thin wires to break. I haven't had a single misfire. None of the people in the photos have had to listen to a long string of curse words emanating from my direction...

I kind of wish I could have the last couple of years back....

Jason
gulley.jason
Infrequent Poster

Re: Slave Triggers/receivers

Postby harrym » Oct 20, 2012 9:00 am

Excellent. I've been a fan a radio slaves for a few years.
Harry Marinakis
NSS #42832 Life
IUS Commission on Volcanic Caves
NACD Full Cave Diver
Monongahela Grotto, West Virginia
harrym
Prolific Poster

Name: Harry Marinakis
NSS #: 42832 Life
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Oct 20, 2012 11:09 am

Another cave photog I know has some of these, and he says they work great too.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby davantalus » Oct 25, 2012 2:36 am

Thanks for the protip! i was recently frustrated by a bunch of pocketwizards. :P
davantalus
Occasional Poster

Name: Dav Angel
NSS #: 63392
Primary Grotto Affiliation: SoCal Grotto

Postby KeyserSoze » Nov 22, 2012 11:06 am

I've been looking at radio slaves and I don't understand a whole lot about the different parts and what to look for. I'm curious about what exactly I'll be able to do with this particular radio slave kit. Will it fire the flashes as soon as I take the picture? Also, can I connect another flash to the transmitter with a cord?

I'm looking at buying a Nikon D5100 Digital SLR camera that I can shoot cave photography with. I have 3 flashes. What I'd like to be able to do is setup 2 flashes on a radio receiver so they will fire as soon as I take a picture. In addition, I'd like to put a third flash on a short wire that I can hold with my other hand away from the camera.
This signature is really funny
KeyserSoze
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61069
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby Magee » Nov 22, 2012 1:01 pm

With some radio slaves it might be possible to wire another flash to the receiver, however it is a much better idea to have a receiver for each flash. I would also recommend that you use receivers on all flashes and not try having 2 wireless and one wired. The Nikon D5100 does not have a PC plug to connect external flashes, so you would have to have a hot shoe adapter (or flash cable such as the Nikon SC-29) to allow connecting an external flash, then put the wireless transmitter in the adaptor.

As far as what you can do with a particular radio slave kit depends greatly on which wireless system and what flashes you choose. At the basic level the wireless system fires the flashes when you press the shutter. I have had good luck with Nikon SB flashes and PocketWizard Flex-TT5 system. That system allows you to set the power of the remote flashes and/or use iTTL exposure with the wireless system. That ability has been very helpful in speeding up the photo process. The amount of time required to goto and set the power on a flash quickly adds up.

On http://www.facebook.com/Waldack1866 I have a photograph of some if the equipment I used to rephotograph the first underground photograph in America.
Magee
Occasional Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum