Looking for feedback on ContourROAM

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking for feedback on ContourROAM

Postby verticalAndy » Apr 2, 2012 2:27 pm

Anyone have any experience filming video with a ContourROAM? It seems to have good reviews from several people who used them while deployed in the military. I'm looking for something that is small and helmet mountable for use on vertical trips. I'm anticipating that lighting could be an issue, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm or deny that this is a problem.

Thanks,
Andy
verticalAndy
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 61411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Re: Looking for feedback on ContourROAM

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 2, 2012 10:43 pm

I've used a ContourHD (basically earlier model of the same thing) with success -- it works fine *if* you have lots of light and are content with nearby range. Using a ~400lm flood headlight I got a usable range of maybe 10 meters or so, e.g.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5hEFeEV5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Bk9Ze5idg
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 49562
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Diablo Grotto

Postby verticalAndy » Apr 3, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks for posting your sample movies. The ContourROAM supposedly has a 170 degree field of view (as opposed to the 135 degrees of the ContourHD). Perhaps the extra 35 degrees will put more of the surroundings into the picture. I was also curious to see the hotspot from your headlamp (fenix hp-11?), it looks like you were able to get adequate pictures even without the headlamp.

I have a hunch that creating a cave video requires capturing video from several sources, so that you can splice together the final product.
verticalAndy
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 61411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 3, 2012 12:38 pm

No, all the light is from the headlamp (Scurion 900)... I forget what setting I had it on; I thought it was mostly the maximum flood setting, but perhaps I misremember.
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 3, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm also considering getting a wearable camera, and I've been looking at the ContourROAM and the GoPro Hero2.

I'm impressed with the sound quality in that first clip from Steven. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, although I assume it would be much worse when you start bumping your helmet into things. I know people love the GoPro, but I hear the audio can be pretty bad. The GoPro seems a little more conducive to mounting on the chest or other places to get it off the damn helmet and away from the headlamp. I'm not going to be diving so regular waterproof is all I need, but being able to function reliably at 40 below zero would really help. And in low light, of course.

If anybody has experience comparing the Contour with the GroPro, I'm all ears.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 3, 2012 5:46 pm

I haven't used the GoPro, just the Contour. The Contour is (typically) side-mounted, so your helmet is wider than you are used to... but then the GoPro is typically top-mounted, so it's taller. Not sure which is worse.

One gotcha for the Contour is that battery life is short: less than an hour. Be sure to bring spare batteries. (Apparently they are identical to common Nokia phone batteries.)
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 3, 2012 6:39 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:One gotcha for the Contour is that battery life is short: less than an hour. Be sure to bring spare batteries. (Apparently they are identical to common Nokia phone batteries.)

From the Contour website... "The Contour ROAM has an internal battery that cannot be replaced by the customer."
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Steven Johnson » Apr 3, 2012 7:37 pm

NZcaver wrote:
Steven Johnson wrote:One gotcha for the Contour is that battery life is short: less than an hour. Be sure to bring spare batteries. (Apparently they are identical to common Nokia phone batteries.)

From the Contour website... "The Contour ROAM has an internal battery that cannot be replaced by the customer."

That sucks. How are you supposed to recharge it in the field? What's (claimed) battery life?
Steven Johnson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 3, 2012 9:28 pm

Steven Johnson wrote:That sucks. How are you supposed to recharge it in the field? What's (claimed) battery life?

You're supposed to recharge it with a USB cable to your laptop, or a wall outlet, or vehicle adapter, or whatever. Battery life is apparently 3.5 hours:

By building the battery in, our engineers could maximize battery size, reliability, and waterproofness. Because the camera is not powered on until the Instant On Record Switch is slid forward, ContourROAM maximizes battery power. Recording at 720p our tests show the camera can record 3.5 hours of video. Length of charge will depend on how you use the camera. Connected to a computer via USB, the battery will reach approximately 80% charge in one hour, and a full charge in 3 to 4 hours.

Amazon has a nice comparison chart with features of the various Contour models here.

Just checked our local REI, and they are currently sold out of the two models I wanted to check out - the ROAM and the Hero2 Outdoor. Must be coupon sale time of year. They have plenty of GoPro surf editions (just what you need up here) and the expensive Contour+ units with GPS.

...and worst of all, now I can't get this B52's song from the 80's out of my head... :hairpull: :big grin:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Caver John » Apr 6, 2012 8:26 am

I feel the shape of the go pro is too cumbersome for caving. I'd love a contour, maybe they'll make one that runs on 18650's.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby Caver John » Jul 17, 2013 10:20 am

I recently picked up a contour GPS and it has a replaceable battery. Each last about 3 hours.
Caver John
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Scag grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 17, 2013 11:15 am

Caver John wrote:I recently picked up a contour GPS and it has a replaceable battery. Each last about 3 hours.

Nice. The manufacturer must have learned.

I feel the shape of the go pro is too cumbersome for caving. I'd love a contour, maybe they'll make one that runs on 18650's.

Interesting. I've owned both Contour-style and GoPro-style cameras and caved occasionally with both types. I found a tube shape camera mounted on the side of my helmet gets in the way and hangs up on stuff more than a small box shape camera mounted on the front of my helmet above my headlamp. But that's just me.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby trogman » Jul 17, 2013 12:13 pm

NZcaver wrote:I'm also considering getting a wearable camera, and I've been looking at the ContourROAM and the GoPro Hero2.

I'm impressed with the sound quality in that first clip from Steven. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, although I assume it would be much worse when you start bumping your helmet into things. I know people love the GoPro, but I hear the audio can be pretty bad. The GoPro seems a little more conducive to mounting on the chest or other places to get it off the damn helmet and away from the headlamp. I'm not going to be diving so regular waterproof is all I need, but being able to function reliably at 40 below zero would really help. And in low light, of course.

If anybody has experience comparing the Contour with the GroPro, I'm all ears.

The main reason my GoPro sound quality is bad is because it is in a sealed box. You can use the vented back door, but then you are subject to water getting in.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Following up on my previous comments from last year, I finally purchased a new action camera last summer and so far I've been pretty happy with it.

I looked at the GoPro and the Contour, but ended up with a Delkin WingmanHD which is shaped pretty much like a GoPro with the waterproof case and mounting options. It has a built in screen and more included accessories for less cost, and so far my only complaints are the sound quality is rather poor and after a couple of months the battery it came with bulged slightly and lost efficiency. When I called the company about it, they were very helpful. Turns out their manufacturing facility was 10 minutes away from where I was living at the time in southern California, so I dropped by and they swapped me for a new one.

Anyway, the camera has survived wet caving and being used at below-freezing temperatures with good battery life (the new battery) and 'reasonable' low-light performance. It is also surprisingly resistant to explosive concussion.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Return to Photography and Videography Forum