TAG Photojournal 2

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

TAG Photojournal 2

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 22, 2011 11:31 am

So I went to TAG for my birthday to cave =) Here are some of my fav. photos from the trip.

First cave we climbed down into was Iron Hoop. Its one of those gorgeous caves with a bit of everything, one you want to go back to again and again and every time you'll see something different. The 500ft-ish wet crawl over cobblestone after a somewhat harrowing climbdown is definitely worth it for the beauty within. I also need to actually follow Mark all the way next time to the crystals...but getting into chestdeep water and then "hrm I dont know if we made the right turn" utterance a while back, and then when I ask "do you know where to go from here?" and get a "hrmmm" reply as he jumps in to swim....that's where I stopped LOL. Apparently I just needed to stick with it another few hundred feet is all though haha.

This formation seemed rather precarious...and the shelf is pretty sweet with the pebbles and rocks stuck together in the...well...rock.
Iron Hoop 9 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

A lovely rimstone pool and travertine floor
Iron Hoop 5 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Active flowstone formation (hence all the shimmering...water trickling down it) with short rimstone pools underneath
Iron Hoop 3 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Some of one of the formation gallaries I dont know why I like this photo I just do. Usually this would be too much black for my taste but I think I like the framing of it. It mezmorizes me haha.
Iron Hoop 11 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

~~~

Next stop was Blevin's Gap. Its a small pit entrance cave with an additional rappel inside it through a tight squeeze (which only one of our group made it through. I probably could have made it, but had not planned on doing vertical this trip due to my still-healing broken hand which is my brake hand so i ended up on borrowed gear and wasn't feeling quite comfortable with it, and the entrace rappel was jittery enough for my taste... Climbing not such a big deal but I didn't have good control on the rappel and was happy for my belay haha.) Its another cave I plan on returning to, and I will attempt the 2nd rappel then. I think I could fit...matter of if I can get my damn childberrin' hips through it!

The entire cave is decorated. This is also my first time using two flashes, since Mark brought his firefly and another flash :D While the one member of our group explored below, the rest of us ran around taking photo after photo!
Blevins Gap 9 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Blevins Gap 8 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Blevins Gap 6 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Probably my fav. shot of the trip:
Blevins Gap 12 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Also, this entire cave flouresces....been chatting with some friends and think I have a good way to get some much better photos of this so I better get my arse moved down there, right??? haha
Blevins Gap 13 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

~~~~

And last cave trip was to Tumbling Rock...I finally got to see it. No stupid migraine this time! Close call though, there was a carbide caver in another group and uhm...let's just say never cave with carbide with me. It started triggering one and I couldn't breath with it. The caffiene worked though, and luckily I didn't have to leave. And I finally saw the cave and can *remember* it this time! And now I do like it =)

To the carbide cavers out there though....Every time he got close to us my entire airway seized up and made it impossible to breathe. Someone from our group went over to ask him about it but he apparently refused to change his lighting method, even once poking into an alcove our trip leader ushered me into to be able to breath and ruining the only bit of fresh air in the area. So uh...carbide cavers out there - PLEASE respect other cavers. Using carbide in a popular cave popular time of year popular day maybe is not the nicest thing to do. And if someone has troubles with it...dont' make them suffer. It's not cool to put other cavers in danger because you want to use your carbide.

Anyway, most of my photos this trip were of others who wanted pictures of them in the cave. It was different trying to set up shots with people...because I don't take photos that way often. I think I did okay though everyone seems to like their photos =)

Our entire group...
Tumbling Rock Christmas 18 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Just the tree with no foreground light =)
Tumbling Rock Christmas 10 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Tumbling Rock Christmas 8 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Topless Dome, 396 ft. I did this on a 8 second hand held exposure. :D Woot for steady hand!
Tumbling Rock Christmas 21 by Sunguramy, on Flickr
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: TAG Photojournal 2

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 22, 2011 11:37 am

Nice shots. Like the last one the best.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Dec 22, 2011 11:39 am

:clap: Nice pics and report Amy...thanks for sharing!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby onebat » Dec 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Nice photos! How long has the lit Christmas Tree been lit and how is it lit? I went to Tumbling Rock years ago but there was no lit 'tree' then.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby Marduke » Dec 22, 2011 12:38 pm

This is the third year the tree has been decorated. It's decorated using extension poles, so the formation is not touched. It's usually decorated the first weekend in December, and left decorated until early January. It's powered using (new this year) LED light strings, and a pelican case with batteries and in inverter, that must be lugged in the 1.5 mile journey for each lighting session.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm

As far as the carbide goes, you can't just turn it off. It's not as simple as just flipping a switch. The generator is where the carbide is stored and the uppper reservoir is filled with water. There is a valve that controls the water that is dripping into the generator. The water mixed with the carbide generates the gas to which the flame is lit. Even if you stop the water drip the water that is already in there is still going to generate gas that has to be burned off or released. Also perhaps this caver was using this for his primary source of light. No caver who uses carbide is doing so to intentionally harm you or other cavers. If the caver was in your group and you had asked them ahead of time prior to entering the cave to please not use it I can understand that but to ask someone in a cave to turn off their primary source of light I can see why they didn't. It's their preference of light and although not as common now days it used to be the only way.
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 22, 2011 3:37 pm

I understand it was not intentional, but if someone says something, and you are putting another caver's life at risk, then effort should be made to solve the issue.

Everyone else in his group was using LED's and you are supposed to have backup light sources. Should have been no problem to switch to something non-carbide whether it was one he had or borrowing one.

At the very least, when someone is trying to get away from it so they can breathe you shouldn't go poking your head in there fouling up that air too. Were trying to wait for them to get far enough up ahead that it would have dissipate. I ended up wetting my bandana and wearing it across my mouth and nose to help as well.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Dec 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Sungura wrote:So I went to TAG for my birthday to cave =) Here are some of my fav. photos from the trip.

You ended up with some really nice pictures. I especially like the first one in your series (ron Hoop 9) and I love the big walls of formation (Blevins Gap 9 & 12). The color in Iron Hoop 5 is very interesting.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Dec 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Sungura wrote:I understand it was not intentional, but if someone says something, and you are putting another caver's life at risk

Seriously, Life at risk, really. Please explain because I have never heard of anyone dying from second hand carbide used properly in a cave.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Dec 22, 2011 4:24 pm

rowland7840 wrote:
Sungura wrote:I understand it was not intentional, but if someone says something, and you are putting another caver's life at risk

Seriously, Life at risk, really. Please explain because I have never heard of anyone dying from second hand carbide.

Try exiting a cave essentially blindfolded with no equilibrium.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby UnderGroundEarth » Dec 22, 2011 4:30 pm

We are all born with free will. If something is effecting you that bad then you should exit the cave. You can't blame the carbide user for using their choice of light when you chose to stay and endure it.
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Dec 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Marduke wrote:Try exiting a cave essentially blindfolded with no equilibrium.

Try getting a grip on reality. Seriously, this is too much.

Very nice photos this time though, Amy! :kewl:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Marduke » Dec 22, 2011 4:54 pm

rowland7840 wrote:We are all born with free will. If something is effecting you that bad then you should exit the cave. You can't blame the carbide user for using their choice of light when you chose to stay and endure it.

The offending caver was informed nicely, not 10 minutes from the entrance, that his carbide was seriously effecting several members in the group. His reply was not all that dissimilar to your sentiments actually. "That's total BS, I don't care. Deal with it." They wouldn't even let us go ahead of them so we could get in front of it.

Classy...

Using carbide in your own group is one thing, but TR is a very popular cave with a LOT of groups going through, of which there was no way for him to inform people of his use of carbide ahead of time. Using it in such a cave where you KNOW dozens of other people will be, knowing that a LOT of people are effected negatively by the byproducts, is inconsiderate AT BEST.

What he did is like being INFORMED that someone nearby has a serious peanut allergy, but continuing to eat your peanut butter sandwich regardless, because you like the flavor better than some other alternative. Afterall, he does have the RIGHT to eat his god-given sandwich... :whistle:
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Dec 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Marduke wrote:Using it in such a cave where you KNOW dozens of other people will be, knowing that a LOT of people are effected negatively by the byproducts, is inconsiderate AT BEST.

I'm not going to get involved in the debate about what is right here, but I was not aware that this was a common problem. What did people do before LEDs were invented, or in Europe where carbide is still very popular? Just suffer through it? Not become cavers?
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Marduke » Dec 22, 2011 5:13 pm

LukeM wrote:What did people do before LEDs were invented, or in Europe where carbide is still very popular? Just suffer through it? Not become cavers?

From my interactions with older cavers who bridged both eras, yes to both. I know of quite a few people that only recently (~5-10 years) picked up the hobby again, after trying it and hating it years ago because they couldn't stand the carbide, and I know a LOT of people who are VERY happy they don't have to deal with it anymore. And those are people who aren't even sensitive to it to the point of triggering blinding migraines.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum