Photographing Sarawak Chamber

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Photographing Sarawak Chamber

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Amazing amazing AMAZING photography work by Robbie Shone...dunno if Ive stated it here but I am totally a fan girl...the way he lights his images and the angles he gets and perspectives are beyond awesome, Ive never seen a shot of his I *didnt* like.

Anyway, read the story here of photographing Sarawak Chamber... http://www.shonephotography.com/2011/11 ... the-world/ its freakin' awesome story and way cool photo...I'll make you click the link to see the result ;)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Photographing Sarawak Chamber

Postby Herman Miller » Nov 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Thats is an incredible shot in an even more increbile cave, thanks for sharing it with us Sungura :big grin:
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 22, 2011 12:56 pm

You're welcome =) I cant wait to go on trips like that. Id love to sherpa for some of these amazing photographers...be the person standing on the boulder, etc...if I was there (aka UK) I could, I just have to find some US ones who want help!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Awesome. Reading that reminded me of this great video of Steven Alvarez talking about his experiences with cave photography. Definitely watch it if you haven't.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby BrianC » Nov 22, 2011 1:14 pm

WoW! Nice! The Rumble Room and Camps Gulf give a similar feeling even though a bit smaller.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Wes Skiles had lights the power of aircraft landing lights that he used for some of his big room shots.

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby JR-Orion » Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Back when I first got into caving, I read a story about a group of cavers exploring what turned out to be an absolutely enourmous room. One caver freaked out upon discovering the size of the room (like the opposite of claustrophobia). Being in the center of all that space must be a truly odd sensation.

Anyway, that story always stayed with me, but I never could remember the name of the book or the cave, but after reading your link, it must have been Sarawak. So thanks.

Great photo, too.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby paul » Nov 23, 2011 7:32 am

Sungura wrote:You're welcome =) I cant wait to go on trips like that. Id love to sherpa for some of these amazing photographers...be the person standing on the boulder, etc...if I was there (aka UK) I could, I just have to find some US ones who want help!

This reminds me of helping another caver (not Robbie, although I have been on a caving trip with him where he was taking photos of a newly dug out section of a local cave) years ago while taking photos in the Hall of the Thirteen in the Gouffre Berger in France. Huw had me lying in a large gour pool for ages setting off a flashgun for him innumerable times. I never did see any of the photos either!

Here is Robbie's photo of the same place.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby LukeM » Nov 23, 2011 8:33 am

JR-Orion wrote:Back when I first got into caving, I read a story about a group of cavers exploring what turned out to be an absolutely enourmous room. One caver freaked out upon discovering the size of the room (like the opposite of claustrophobia). Being in the center of all that space must be a truly odd sensation.

Anyway, that story always stayed with me, but I never could remember the name of the book or the cave, but after reading your link, it must have been Sarawak. So thanks.

The link from Amy does talk about at least one acute attack of agoraphobia. I remember the story you're talking about. This seems to be a condenses version of what we read at one point.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 23, 2011 11:23 am

paul wrote:
Sungura wrote:You're welcome =) I cant wait to go on trips like that. Id love to sherpa for some of these amazing photographers...be the person standing on the boulder, etc...if I was there (aka UK) I could, I just have to find some US ones who want help!

This reminds me of helping another caver (not Robbie, although I have been on a caving trip with him where he was taking photos of a newly dug out section of a local cave) years ago while taking photos in the Hall of the Thirteen in the Gouffre Berger in France. Huw had me lying in a large gour pool for ages setting off a flashgun for him innumerable times. I never did see any of the photos either!

Here is Robbie's photo of the same place.
OMG yes that photo is amazing. One of my fav's of his. Gouffre Berger seems awesome, maybe someday I can go =)

LukeM wrote:
JR-Orion wrote:Back when I first got into caving, I read a story about a group of cavers exploring what turned out to be an absolutely enourmous room. One caver freaked out upon discovering the size of the room (like the opposite of claustrophobia). Being in the center of all that space must be a truly odd sensation.

The link from Amy does talk about at least one acute attack of agoraphobia. I remember the story you're talking about. This seems to be a condenses version of what we read at one point.
Yeah I think its the same. This is the older photo, and one of the original explorers account of the finding http://www.mulucaves.org/wordpress/arti ... ak-chamber
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby robbieshone » Nov 28, 2011 10:15 am

Hi all,

You guys should get out more with your cameras and stop posting such ridiculous things on here about my work!! :roll:
Seriously though, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. Great to have such a good team of helpers who don't mind standing around and holding a flashbulb or two (or 178!!).

Cheers guys,
Robbie Shone
:waving:
robbieshone
Infrequent Poster

Return to Photography and Videography Forum