Good camera for LONG exposure

Techniques and equipment.

Moderator: Moderators

Good camera for LONG exposure

Postby WVCaver2011 » Nov 14, 2011 9:24 pm

I was looking around on the net searching for a decent camera that had long exposure times such as 30 minutes as well as short exposures for action pictures, etc. The ISO setting should be available for manual manipulation. I would like great picture quality both in cave and out. I'm not sure how much these run in pricing but I'm willing to pay between $400 and $500 for the camera. If you guys could give me some ideas, that would be excellent! Thanks!!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Re: Good camera for LONG exposure

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 14, 2011 10:42 pm

You are talking digital SLR cameras and those are going to cost a lot more than you are willing to spend to get a 30 minute exposure time, lol
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Nov 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Chads93GT wrote:You are talking digital SLR cameras and those are going to cost a lot more than you are willing to spend to get a 30 minute exposure time, lol

Okay, I was afraid of that. So, I guess there arent any cheaper alternatives eh? If not, what's the best I could get with what i'm willing to spend? So far, im finding 30 second exposure as a maximum for that price range. :shrug:
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Nov 14, 2011 11:20 pm

my olympus stylus stays open for.......5 or 8 seconds on night mode but its water/shock proof, so IMO its the only caving point and shoot to have as you can be rough with it and it will not break (we do lots of river caving here so non waterproof is out of the question)

I dont honestly know what is out there in piont and shoot style that will give you a longer exposure.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pub » Nov 15, 2011 12:34 am

Consider the Lumix LX5

It's within your price range> Goggle shopping, has 60 sec max shutter, hot shoe, and an excellent lens (Leica 24-120mm, f/2)
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby LukeM » Nov 15, 2011 8:07 am

You can totally get a DLSR in that price range. A Nikon D40 with the kit lens is going to be right around the $500 dollar mark new, or a little over $300 refurbished/used. Check Google shopping. Also, check out both keh.com and bhphotovideo.com for deals on used cameras from a reputable source.

What you're looking for is a camera with "bulb mode" where you can manually engage/disengage the shutter at will. I don't think I've ever seen a DSLR without this. You'll also want a remote shutter release so you don't have to touch the camera and induce shake.

What exactly are you looking to do that requires these shutter lengths?
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby WVCaver2011 » Nov 15, 2011 9:15 am

LukeM wrote:You can totally get a DLSR in that price range. A Nikon D40 with the kit lens is going to be right around the $500 dollar mark new, or a little over $300 refurbished/used. Check Google shopping. Also, check out both keh.com and bhphotovideo.com for deals on used cameras from a reputable source.

What you're looking for is a camera with "bulb mode" where you can manually engage/disengage the shutter at will. I don't think I've ever seen a DSLR without this. You'll also want a remote shutter release so you don't have to touch the camera and induce shake.

Well, as I said before, I would love to have a camera for both in cave and outside applications. The reason for such a long shutter time is simply to capture a little star movement in the night sky. For in cave applications I probably wont use anything over a minute but I love to do light painting so, I may just go crazy with it lol. I'll have to read into this one!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Nov 15, 2011 9:27 am

pub wrote:Consider the Lumix LX5

It's within your price range> Goggle shopping, has 60 sec max shutter, hot shoe, and an excellent lens (Leica 24-120mm, f/2)

So far, this camera has won! I've looked at all the rest and either the shutter time isnt long enough, or it doesnt beat the camera I already have. Thanks! I hope I can find one with an even longer shutter time but that may or may not be possible.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 15, 2011 11:54 am

I have the Lumix LX3 and love it. The wide angle is amazing and very helpful in cave photography. The lens gives good crisp results. I have only used it on two cave trip and was enough to fall in love with it. Another thing you really want on a cave camera is manual focus. Lumix LX series has this. The Leica D-Lux series is the "same" as the Panasonic Lumixs, slight variations in the camera itself and mostly Leica has some propritary software and more $$. I got my Lumix LX3 from Unclaimed Baggage for about $100. If you scope ebay you should find them between $150-$350 depending on which version you are looking at. I think the LX1 does not shoot in RAW, so I would stay away from that one personally as I find shootingin RAW in caves very nice for easier postprocessing.

If you want an even longer shutter time, Ricoh GX http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gx/gx200/ (there is a GX100, older version, Around $150-$200 on Ebay - stores in the US i have not found to carry them) and a GX200 is the current model. AMAZING camera. 180 sec shutter. And bonus, although propritary LI battery like most these days, you can ALSO use 2xAAA to run it. Of course run time is poor on 2xAAA (like 50 shots or such) but great backup if you are on a long trip and ohshitbatteriesdie. I really wanted this one, actually, but needed a camera ASAP when I was in TAG and my camera busted so had to pick from what they hadat Unclaimed Baggage (which luckily was my 2nd choice and what I wanted before I discovered the Ricohs).

Now if you really want a fancyawesome camera, check out the Ricoh GXR http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/ Interchanging lens system in which the lens is the "camera" itself. At no point ever are the lenses exposed even when changing them. With your budget, it is still likey within it if you fnd it used/on ebay (I see them for as low as $350 with the kit lens on ebay). It is a DUSTPROOF lens system! What could be better for caving?! Sorry still no bulb mode though, wish it had that. Still 180sec max shutter.

Some example shots with my LX3
Macro:
Roppel-Yahoo Cave Pearls 3 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Flash gun with some front light:
Roppel-GypsumCoatedWalls by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Wide angle helpfulness (and panoramic stitching in post-process this is 3 photos)
Roppel-Dome1 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Backlighting
Bluff River Cave 14 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

Lightpainitng
Bluff River Cave 07 by Sunguramy, on Flickr

To give an idea of wideangle, from Bridge Day, this was ONE shot taken from the tracks.
Bridge Day - New River Gorge Bridge by Sunguramy, on Flickr
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am

WVCaver2011 wrote:
LukeM wrote:You can totally get a DLSR in that price range. A Nikon D40 with the kit lens is going to be right around the $500 dollar mark new, or a little over $300 refurbished/used. Check Google shopping. Also, check out both keh.com and bhphotovideo.com for deals on used cameras from a reputable source.

Well, as I said before, I would love to have a camera for both in cave and outside applications. The reason for such a long shutter time is simply to capture a little star movement in the night sky. For in cave applications I probably wont use anything over a minute but I love to do light painting so, I may just go crazy with it lol. I'll have to read into this one!

So is it the size of an SLR that makes you cross it off the list as cave-appropriate? I could definitely see the smaller as an advantage with the LX5, but at 60 seconds shutter speed you won't be able to capture much start movement in the sky.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Nov 15, 2011 11:58 am

Another idea for you if you want small, but bulb, is look at the M4/3 cameras. Smaller/lighter than dSLRs but basically the "same" as far as features and interchanging lenses and all that. In fact with a pancake prime lens on it, would fit in as samll of a pelican case as these lumixes and ricohs.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Nov 15, 2011 1:11 pm

LukeM wrote:
WVCaver2011 wrote:

So is it the size of an SLR that makes you cross it off the list as cave-appropriate? I could definitely see the smaller as an advantage with the LX5, but at 60 seconds shutter speed you won't be able to capture much start movement in the sky.

IMO the longer the shutter time, the more I can use it for. I really like night photography and the longer the shutter time the better for that. Price plays a big factor too. The better the camera is for a given price the more I want it. I'm not getting in an arguement with you on what I need and dont need. I already have a camera with an 8 second shutter time and it works nicely but I want more. I love light painting and 8 seconds of light painting isnt enough for big rooms. I believe the Nikon D40 had a 30 second max shutter time. Show me pictures for comparison : ) It would definitely help out a lot.

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 15, 2011 1:41 pm

I think you may have misunderstood the point of my post. It's pretty well summed up in these sentences:

What you're looking for is a camera with "bulb mode" where you can manually engage/disengage the shutter at will. I don't think I've ever seen a DSLR without this.

The D40 is a DSLR. You're looking at the wrong information when comparing specs. Even the best cameras will top out at 30s or a minute for shutter speeds unless you use the bulb mode, which allows you to hold the shutter open as long as you want, provided there is battery remaining. You usually do this with a remote trigger/cable release.

As a rule of thumb a compact or "prosumer" (non interchangeable lens) camera won't compete with an SLR as far as controls or image quality go. If you're looking for the maximum control, flexibility, and image quality then a SLR or micro 4/3 camera is always going to be your best option. However, there are other considerations such as size, durability, and weight which always come into play when considering cave photography. Also, ease of use will factor in if you're not well versed in photography.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Nov 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Yea, besides using my little kodak with slaves, I have no real photography background. However, I did take a pretty nice pic this weekend with an 8 second shutter speed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59884159@N ... hotostream

It wasnt too bad but it took a little time to get things lined up appropriately. I want a longer shutter speed so I can take light painting to the next level. Are there any cheap bulb mode cameras?

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Nov 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Well, like I said, the D40 is low 300's used, and $500 new with the stock lens. That's in your range, but you would have to decide if you want an SLR. You'd have to spend some time learning the in's and outs of a real camera. If you want to get more into photography and learn more it could be a good route. Also, the D3000 is much newer than the D40 and still in your price range. I hadn't thought of that one. You won't find any compact cameras with a bulb mode.

Light painting is fun!
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Photography and Videography Forum